• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alkaline Trio

music for a game

This topic is 5936 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

theoretically whats the best way to have sound in my tetr*s clone, i have this mp3 i want, but converting to a .wav is just ludacris. could i load the mp3? is there a better format for sound? (with good compression) p.s. and also, in sound forge you can convert a file to a microsoft wave (with mp3 compression), but to my knowledge the computer sees it as a .wav... (can i load this the same way i can a regular none compressed wav?)

Advertisement
if you''re using directx, i know you can use directshow to load mp3s fairly easily. I don''t know of any other way to load mp3s without writing your own loaders and stuff, there are a few out there but i think they may have restrictions. Ogg Vorbis seems to be coming into the light recently, i haven''t looked much at its format or how easy it is to load, i think you need to license the stuff though. if you don''t want to go through all the trouble of doing all that stuff, converting to a .wav is not at all insane, if you don''t want to look into the technologies that are available, using a wav is a good choice, quite straight forward to load and use.

I heared you could encode your wav with mp3 compression and keep the wav format so you can load this .wav with DirectSound. I''ve never tried it, I wonder if it would load the entire uncompressed mp3 to memory...

1) The second 5000 copies of your tetris clone exist, you''ll either have to pay $3000+ in licensing fees or be sued.

2) WMA compresses instrumental music about 4 times better than MP3. (40kbps WMA sounds as good as 160kbps MP3.)

quote:
Original post by rjahrman
1) The second 5000 copies of your tetris clone exist, you''ll either have to pay $3000+ in licensing fees or be sued.

2) WMA compresses instrumental music about 4 times better than MP3. (40kbps WMA sounds as good as 160kbps MP3.)

Not true, if you play mp3''s through directsound, you are using the fraunhofer decoder filter. You are then just using basic windows functionality. If you would include your own custom C mp3 decoding code, maybe (although Thomson only wants to charge you when you market either a hardware decoder or commercial software encoders).

When playing it with directshow, the person playing the game has a license already for the mp3 playback filter, and this use needs no license.

Don''t know about your numbers, 64 kbit/s WMA is 128 kbit/s mp3, I wouldn''t go that far.

Tell me Alkaline Trio, are you planing to sell 5000 copies of your tetris clone anyway?

As far as I''ve used DirectSound, you aquire a sound buffer that you can load with uncompressed data, if you load it with compressed data..it would sound like crap.

No experience of using DShow.

-Luctus

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!