How can i do a game like doom?

Started by
16 comments, last by snoofy 21 years, 7 months ago
You may have a point taciturn. If it only happened every once in a while you could blame the user, but beginners post in the wrong forums all the time. There is definately a design flaw somewhere. If you study interface design you know the key to usability of an interface for new users of the interface is to maximize visibility. The idea is to make sure the things that you want the user to see are visible and easy to access, and the things you don''t want them to find are hidden or at least not as easy to get at. Sure snoofy could have kept scrolling down until he saw the For Beginners forum, but why should he have to. Is that even intuitive? If I didn''t know the For Beginners forum existed and I was looking for a place to post a question, Game Programming would seem a fair choice. Why not put the Beginners forum at the top of the forum listing and give it a different color and/or font so it stands out like a sore thumb? I see it up there at the top of the page under Resources, but the problem is that at a glance all the text looks the same, same font, same color, same number of links per column, etc. It looks nice and clean, but it is a source of information overload. Beginner stuff really needs to be more visible, then you could be justified at dishing out the harsh comments ("hey fool, didn''t you see the day-glo orange 25 point BEGINNER link?!". Just another "damned AP" posting...
Advertisement
Cyberdrek & the rest,

The search feature is disabled. Expect plenty of ''dupes''.

But yeah, I agree too; you simply can not start with a game like Doom. But for the love of cod, DON''T DO PONG!
If you do a few small projects, get yourself familiar with C++ and game programming in general, then something like Wolfenstein 3D (the original, not the sequel) would probably be a reasonable target.
DO PONG!!

it would hurt. you learn physics and a little AI. as well as the graphics aspects of game programming.

but (and i know i''ll be branded for saying so) you can try to get a software from Pie in the Sky. basically it''s a game development software that requires NO programming. it''s pretty much point and click. granted YOU WILL NOT LEARN MUCH IF NOT ANYTHING ABOUT GAME PROGRAMMING but you might develop some game design skills.

Forum forgive me.....

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

All about API''s, you have 2d graphics and 3d graphics, you got spirtes and textures, you got input and output, you got evrything you need to make a game: except for the brains!

Train your brain, get in the game, and dont be lame...
Learning is a gift, knowing is a power.

...blah...blah..blah...

Someone should quote me for this one!

You have DirectX, OpenGL, SDL, all are good for coding.
Just find somegood tutorials and here you go!

But Doom, Doom, DOom,DOOm,DOOM!!!!
Making a game like wolfenstein 3D is hard in 2D... math x(
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You may have a point taciturn. If it only happened every once in a while you could blame the user, but beginners post in the wrong forums all the time. There is definately a design flaw somewhere.

Yeah... someone messed up when they designed ''newbies''

quote:If you study interface design you know the key to usability of an interface for new users of the interface is to maximize visibility. The idea is to make sure the things that you want the user to see are visible and easy to access, and the things you don''t want them to find are hidden or at least not as easy to get at. Sure snoofy could have kept scrolling down until he saw the For Beginners forum, but why should he have to. Is that even intuitive?

Maybe it''s not intuitive, but:

a) The average poster cannot change the site, but they can redirect a newbie. This is what people do.

b) It''s good etiquette to familiarise yourself with a site before you begin to use it. It takes no more than 10 minutes to browse through and look at the forums and their descriptions. When people ignore etiquette they''re potentially insulting to those around them. Therefore the odd less-than-friendly response is expected.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
quote:b) It''s good etiquette to familiarise yourself with a site before you begin to use it. It takes no more than 10 minutes to browse through and look at the forums and their descriptions. When people ignore etiquette they''re potentially insulting to those around them. Therefore the odd less-than-friendly response is expected.

Agreed! And yes, newbies are in serious need of a redesign.

Please, do not misunderstand me. I''m not defending the newbies for posting in the wrong forums or blaming people for calling them on it. I simply wanted to point out that there may be a way to reduce the increasing number of mis-posts. As the n00bs become more familiar with the site, surely they will explore more and learn what material is appropriate for which forum. Realize also that not all people who post will want to actively engage in the community. I imagine that there are many who create an account to ask a question, get an answer and are never heard from again. They may not be following etiquitte, but that does not stop them from posting in the wrong forum. I noticed that you posted this suggestion, appropriately enough , in the Suggestions forum. Thank you for having an open mind about this.
Also, sorry about posting anonymously before, but I sensed a flaming was imminent. I suppose confrontation is an area where I could use a redesign .
bugawk?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement