About Copyrighting...

Started by
7 comments, last by komi 24 years ago
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anybody knew the price of copyrighting a commercial game and company. Is there a place on the web you can get a copyright license? Or do you have to see a laywer? Anways, thanks. Eric
Advertisement
Run, don''t walk, here and buy this book.

There''s more misinformation out there than you can shake a stick at, and the free information you''ll get on a discussion group is invariably worth every penny. Copyrights are easy and cheap to do. You''ve just gotta do it right, or it''ll bite you later.

Stop reading this. Go!

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

i think john was drunk hehe

It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
Remember, your work is technically copyrighted as soon as you create it. This book is about the process of -registering- it, which only makes a difference in certain situations, but makes it substantially easier to press your case in those circumstances.
A copyright costs $20 and you can do it in about 10 minutes.
Akura: Smily or not, that was rude.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Reminds me of my course in basic mechanics. Our professor stood in front of the class and proudly announced "This is your textbook. I''ve written it, you get it for free, and you get what you pay for."

Sadly enough, that book was replaced the year after, since it was among the worst books we''ve ever seen

Anyway, if you want to know about the value of message-board information, check the thread on Hasbro.

A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
sorry john, just tried to bring a little humour here, sorry, didnt intend to be rude !

bye
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
any intellectual property is copyrighted as soon as you create it... the only thing you need to pay for is to register it... but that isn''t necessary most of the time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement