GMax question

Started by
12 comments, last by wikedgamer 21 years, 7 months ago
quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Id have paid to be able to have coverters to their own formats so people can use gMax for quake editing only .

I think I am right in saying Id did not pay for the gmax quake thing. discreet asked ID''s permission to use it as an example of how this could work with games. That is why temple or tempest or what ever it''s called is unsurrported my id or discreet.

there are a couple of articles floating around in operation flashpoint mod sites about how to use it for other stuff.

But I would''nt bother learn to use valve hammer or qe radiant or unrealed.

Advertisement
You could well be right, i''ve been out of the quake modding community for a while now. But in that case then the md3 converter is a special case, and any others follow the licencing route.

More in response to Yann L''s post:

There are always ways to get around such methods of control. While I am unsure if I would personnaly advocate them (in public), they are there. Instead of completely reverse engineering gmax, why not just emulate opengl (or the library you are using w/ gmax) calls and through that grab the data, for example.

You do not have to work harder necessarily if you can find areas fit for exploitation.
quote:
There are always ways to get around such methods of control. While I am unsure if I would personnaly advocate them (in public), they are there. Instead of completely reverse engineering gmax, why not just emulate opengl (or the library you are using w/ gmax) calls and through that grab the data, for example.

I was certainly not talking about ''cracking'' GMax. My post referred to both the .max and .gmax formats (besides an access control structure, that prevents gmax from reading .max files, they are essentially the same). I''ve seen this question ("how do I read .(g)max files ?") much to often, and just pointed out that it''s not that easy - as eg. reading a .3ds or Wavefront .obj file.

If you want to export your data, then why bother with OpenGL redirection layers (that wouldn''t work very well anyway, since Max doesn''t send all needed scene information through the OGL pipeline: scenegraph structure, multiple UVW coords, special material props such as refraction and raytrace, shadowmapping data, etc).

Buy 3DSMax (complete version) and write an exporter plugin or script. Takes 10 minutes for a basic one, just copy and paste from the SDK. Or get a third party one (eg. Flexporter).

/ Yann

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement