• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mathematix

I wanna write some games...

This topic is 5702 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I am a programming newbie just passed the "hello world" stage in my C++ class. I would like to write four good 3D games in three months, the first being one like Quake 3 then Warcraft 3 then Grand Theft Auto 3. I have heard of a programming language called Open PL? is this easy to learn? I understand that it is used for a number of games. Also I''ve heard of something like ''Direct sex'' that you can make sounds with. Any help would be very much appreciated. Peace out, Mathematix.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Is this a joke?

Either you are being extremely funny or you really don''t know what you are talking about....

Well. "Open PL" is called OpenGL it''s a 3D API.
And "Direct sex" (LMAO!!) is called DirectX.

DirectX is made up of two parts DirectDraw and Direct3D.
DirectDraw is for 2D app/games and Direct3D is for 3D app/games.

My honest opinion and I think most people would agree.
You should start coding a little more.
Far past the "hello world" stage.
Do you know how to use pointers, functions, structs and classes?
Well you should at least understand these things before thinking about making 3D games.

But while you are learning these things. And I said it!! learn them!! (to those who roasted me earlier... you know who you are)

You can go to Teej''s interactive tutorial and learn to program Tetris. It is step by step and shows most if not all the things you need to know about basic game programming. Then your next game should be Pong. You''ll then get a good idea of how to implement simple AI and physics, which you''ll need to expand upon sooner than you think.

So in short!! Keep learning C++. Go to Teej''s forum. (click on Forums, scroll down until you see Hands On Interactive Game Development, click and continue from there), when you finish with that try your hand at Pong.

Then come back for better advice about 3D games. Believe me you are not ready for 3D programming.

>>programming newbie just passed the "hello world" stage
PRICELESS !!

(sabreman if you''re reading this... see what i mean??)

Knowledge is what you learn, wisdom is how you apply it.

find your element
at mutedfaith.com.
<º>

I am surprised with the regularity of posts like this one.
I can understand newbies wanting to learn how to program or make games, and it can be understandable if you don''t know that Google exists or that a Start Here section exists on Gamedev.net.
What I think isn''t helping is when posts are made like this to poke fun of them. Yes, we can roll our eyes when we see a legit post of this nature, but we weren''t all knowing ourselves. At one point we weren''t quite sure how to make games.

I remember sitting in front of my Apple II c+ and typing in paragraphs to the tune of, "I would like my game to be like Troll''s Tale, only with more monsters and the ability to grab a sword and use it" only to learn that I would get a syntax error after pressing enter. B-)

I say that posts like this will scare people who don''t know how to navigate their way around the WWW from coming here, thinking that the people here know way too much and will not give them the time of day.

Although it was funny B-) Direct sex. Classic.

quote:
Original post by GBGames
I remember sitting in front of my Apple II c+ and typing in paragraphs to the tune of, "I would like my game to be like Troll''s Tale, only with more monsters and the ability to grab a sword and use it" only to learn that I would get a syntax error after pressing enter. B-)

I can remember doing something similiar with my TRS-80.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!