• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

valkyr

I WANT TO PROGRAM BUT CAN'T!

This topic is 5849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I really wanna learn how to program. So I started on Basic a long time ago. It was really fun but now I wanna go to something more advanced. I''ve tried learning Python, Java, C, C++, but I always decide I don''t like the language or I get bored while learning it. I would like to learn C++ but I just don''t seem to have the patience. Am I not cut-out to be a programmer, or what?

Advertisement
Don't feel bad! I am the same way! I tried to jump right into C++ and it was a mess. So I went back in time (hahahah) and began learning QBasic. I had a blast with that language. It was fun and easy. Then Visual Basic stepped in. I was learning it in school but unfortunately I had a teacher that didn't know what the hell programming was. She just copied pages out of her books and gave them to us as assignments. Anyways, I got bored of visual basic. I've been trying constantly to learn C++ but it ain't working. Maybe people like you and I aren't cut out for programming! Maybe there is something else out there waiting for us! We just have to look.

[edited by - wikedgamer on September 14, 2002 1:15:41 PM]

Nah

If you''re just doing it for fun, there''s no need to rush yourself. Starting with Basic can spoil you. It''s advanced features are easily accessible unlike other languages that require that you link into a library (or develop the feature yourself, which isn''t a very efficient way to program). Basic sheilds you from a lot of the complexity of programming and allows you to get right down to business.

In programming, you have to get over a few obstacles before you can just start programming. For example, if you want to use VC++ 6 with DirectX, you have to figure out how to link DX into your app. This requires time and research but once you''ve done it, you don''t need to worry about it anymore. In return for your trouble, you get the speed and flexibility you need to do what you really want.

On the other hand, is Basic doing what you need? Perhaps you don''t need another language... yet.

- Jay

"I have head-explody!!!" - NNY

Get Tranced!

QBasic was a fun language. If I could, I''d probably devote my life to making it a higher level language than it originally was. I spent countless hours during the nights, in my bed, with my laptop, coding examples from a tutorial on QBasic. I was shocked at how perfect and crisp the codes were executed. Now, the examples were like how to make a circle bounce around the screen and stuff like that but to me it was great because I was actually "programming."

I think I might just go back to QBasic! It was the only language that I was able to get into and I loved it! QBasic, here I come!!!

WikedGamer, I agree with you on the count of QBasic being fun and easy to use. My problem, like yours and valkyr, is that I find a tutorial on a certain programming language and then when I begin reading I start falling asleep. Don''t think you guys are the only "not ment to be" programmers! There are others. I''m sure there are other things to do involving Game Development that are just screaming our names. We just have to look harder! Good luck!

quote:
Original post by podbuster
My problem, like yours and valkyr, is that I find a tutorial on a certain programming language and then when I begin reading I start falling asleep. Don''t think you guys are the only "not meant to be" programmers! There are others. I''m sure there are other things to do involving Game Development that are just screaming our names. We just have to look harder! Good luck!

Buy a book. They tend to be more interesting, easier to use, and easier to find time for. Also, don''t just work through tutorials. I found it much easier to learn c++ by working with pre-made examples. When I worked with a pre-made example, I could just try to change things. I didn''t know how, but after a while, I found a resource for it, found the syntax, etc. Now I am a full-fledged c++ programmer even though I started in QB.

FOR THE QBASIC VS C ARGUMENT:
The main difference between qbasic and c is the number of commands built into the language. Go to the help for qbasic and look at all the different commands. In C, there are only like 32 (?) commands actually built into the language. In order to actually do anything, you must access libraries that were actually written in asm. This makes it a lot harder for new people, because they have to go through another layer to perform tasks that were easy in QB (for example, PSET).

But don''t worry, if you work at it, anyone can do it.

The c/c++ libraries are not neccessarily written in assembly, and I think most are accutally c/c++ code.

And an even bigger difference between qbasic and C is that qbasic is interperted, and c is compiled.

QBasic is fun because you don''t have to do any foot work. You just do whatever is on your mind without any obstacles... but with MAJOR limitations.

Now, if you do the foot work with C++, you will be able to do the same things you could in basic and much more. This is where C++ becomes fun and because you no longer have the limitations, you can really let the ideas fly. Plus, you''ve learned a marketable trade.

- Jay

"I have head-explody!!!" - NNY

Get Tranced!

I used to be a dedicated QB programmer and I loved it (and still love). Then, when I started using an Assembler graphics library called DirectQB, I was even more amazed, as now I could program very fast games (for Qb that is) with graphics that could rival a SNES game. However, the big mean memory limitations in DOS kept holding my main project back, so I decided to move to DirectX/C++. I´m doing nice progress so far, but now and then I decide to go back in time and do something in QB to remember. My last attempt is a game called Albuk´s Quest, which can be downloaded from www.gaminggolds.cjb.net if anyone would care for a look
Anyway don´t discard QB just yet, grab the QuickBasic 4.5 COMPILER (not 1.1, the intempreter) and take a look at DirectQB, and you be amazed at what you can do with it. If your game is not an epic, QB should be more than enough for ya!

[edited by - CutterSlade on September 14, 2002 3:33:37 PM]

what the difference between QBasic, BlitzBasic, DarkBasic and Visual Basic (besides the "slight" syntax variations)?

if you can use one then you can pretty much use all right?

they are not as different as DX and GL are they?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!