I WANT TO PROGRAM BUT CAN'T!

Started by
22 comments, last by valkyr 21 years, 7 months ago
I would definitely recommend Delphi to learn in (and, in fact, to do any Windows forms application). There are even OpenGL components for it, so game design isn''t ruled out.
It''s compiled, typed, and an overall excellent IDE (and Object Pascal is a great language).

It''s a lot easier to move from Object Pascal to C++ than it is to go from Basic... there are a lot of similarities (particularly if you use Borland CBuilder... then you can change languages but keep the interface the same!).

The best thing to do, however, is take the Computer Science route. Once you do that, and learn around the subject rather than just studying languages, then you''ll be able to pick up any language with no difficulty at all. They''re all the same really

Don''t panic if you can''t ''get'' C++ to start with - it''s definitely not what you would call a ''user friendly'' language.

Hope that helps.

-Rich

Advertisement
You don''t have to like a language to program in it. I would prefer to program in C#, but I just have to get by with a less "nice" C++.

If you are getting bored learning a language it''s 100% due to the WAY you are learning the language. I have a degree in computer science but I''ve NEVER finished reading a programming related book because they''re always so damn boring and my attention span is super low. You have to learn how to skip the boring shit (can I say that?) and just get at the info you most need or that interests you. Nearly 99% of computer books are written bottom up, meaning they explain all the boring details, such as language/API details, and at the very end barely get into the big picture of making all the code do something interesting.

I recommend starting with sample code and use that as a basis to write your own code and look of stuff you don''t know (learning how to use language/API documentation is pretty important). That''s pretty much how I learned (and continue to learn) DirectX game programming. The best way to learn a language is just to program in it and experiement with what works and what doesn''t. Abstract learning is terribly boring.

You have to do whatever it takes to make programming "fun" for you, which usually means getting obsessed about making your code come to life, as a cool game or whatever. If you find yourself getting bored, you''re probably doing something wrong.
quote:Original post by Cyberdrek
C/C++ libraries aren''t coded in ASM. They are made mostly of C/C++ with some inline ASM. Grab some books and learn how it works before posting non-sense.

Okay, maybe I should have explained myself better. You are right; libraries are written in C. However, when writing a library, all you have access to is: the 32 C keywords (consists of data types, data modifiers like const and static, and program flow), the C operators, and asm. The library functions that people use are built with only those three things.

However in QBasic, those functions are built into the language, with no need to use a library, etc. Therefore it is hard for a novice to learn about drawing to the screen in c++, because in QB you could use the built in functions like LINE, PSET, COLOR, etc.

Does that clarify?
All of you guys on this forum claims that Qbasic is very good. I look at the gaminggold website to take a look at Albuk''s Quest. Its very nice. C++ is my first language that I am learning. I just started two weeks ago. I''m on structs and classes. They are both confusing. Is Qbasic for dos? Is there one for windows? I''m might start with Qbasic. Should I or should I continue with C++?
Champ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement