Jump to content
  • Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-bishop

University AI vs Game AI, any difference?

This topic is 5934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

i just started taking Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and if i like it, i may take "Machine Learning" or "AI 2" or "Expert Systems" my question is: is the stuff im learning now directly applicable to video game AI? in other words...are these the fundamentals ill need to understand for video game AI (as seen on HALO, Warcraft3, Unreal/Quake Bots etc) since AI is a really diverse subject that carries over many disciplines or do i have to go on a more specialized route and get resources specifically geared towards video game ai.. heres a copy of my roass doc Basic Principles · intelligence and artificial intelligence · symbols and symbol systems · problem solving and problem spaces Knowledge Representation · representation using first-order logic · problem-solving using Prolog · rule-based representations · structured representations Search · searching a problem space · uninformed search strategies · informed search strategies · reasoning with first-order logic · reasoning with incomplete knowledge · reasoning with imprecise knowledge Applications of Artificial Intelligence · expert systems . natural language understanding · planning, agents, and robotics Machine Learning · reinforcement learning · subsymbolic processing, organization of neural networks · concepts of genetic and evolutionary programming Artificial Intelligence Systems · advantages and disadvantages of AI-based systems · limitations of AI [edited by - x-bishop on September 14, 2002 5:48:01 PM] [edited by - x-bishop on September 14, 2002 5:54:01 PM]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
actually, nm. i think i just found the answer to my question

altho this class will teach me the fundamentals i will truly need, AI is a field where generalized techniques will only work on very simple situations (weak techniques!) and i will most likely need to progress to a more specilized route to do video game AI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
To be honest I think it''s the other way around. Most of those techniques you listed are likely to be way more powerful and complex than 99% of games will use. (That''s not to say that we shouldn''t have more of the other 1% of games though.) The main stuff you''ll use from that list is the Search stuff - useful in almost any game.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quote:
Original post by Kylotan
To be honest I think it''s the other way around. Most of those techniques you listed are likely to be way more powerful and complex than 99% of games will use. (That''s not to say that we shouldn''t have more of the other 1% of games though.) The main stuff you''ll use from that list is the Search stuff - useful in almost any game.



For what it''s worth I agree with Kylotan, X-bishop, though likely for somewhat different reasons. If you design your AI engine well you''ll likely find yourself organizing things in the same way throughout, using the same techniques over and over. As Kylotan says Search techniques are a big part of good AI--the faster and more efficient they are in your engine the better. And data structures. And internal documentation. And ease of adding/deleting new functions.

The courses on your list will give you a good theoretical background, but not much in the way of the compromises brought on by simple practical constraints ("Your AI has to handle 10,000 units and run in 1% of the CPU, okay?"). Put your theoretical knowledge to good use as you learn by building your own AI somewhere (I''d suggest the first-person shooter ''bots as a good place to start, but it''s up to you).

Good luck!






Ferretman

ferretman@gameai.com
www.gameai.com
From the High Mountains of Colorado

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!