• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BadgerC82

Good Direct Graphics Coverage

This topic is 5852 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here''s my background: I have read Tricks with Direct x 6.1 and have a good understanding; I have a reasonable understanding of C++ and advanced techniques; I want to build re-useable code to my own specification e.g. Not just rip off someone elses library. Does anyone know of any books that give full coverage on Direct x 8.1? I have looked at Sprecial Effects Game Programming and that has good coverage. But is there any specific book? Also online tuts are good but I have not found any good one. Any help wil be appreciated

Advertisement
Don''t know much about books myself, I''ve done all my learning online. Check out this website, it has some nice tutorials for the DirectX8 beginner.

www.andypike.com

Brett

You might want to look at the books included in my sig below. I cover different techniques, but I leave the "engine building" to you. I think the Special Effects book is similar.

When you say "full coverage of DirectX", what are you looking for? My recommendation - pick a book that most closely fits your short to mid term needs ("Role Playing..." if that''s your thing, my book if you need shader help, Special Effects if that''s what you need, etc. etc.) and also get used to the SDK docs. In the long term, you''ll find it easier to use the docs for "full API coverage" and use books to attack special problems.

Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!