• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrX02

Linux Networking

This topic is 5840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A few months ago I installed Linux Mandrake 8.2 on one of my computers. Just yesterday I finally got around to buy Partition Magic so I could put it on my Windows XP box. My question is, how do I set up a LAN network between the two computers? I am a complete Linux noob. I am learning all the basics and have no idea how to do this! Also, I want to set up the network to work if one of the computers is booted in Windows and the other in Linux.

Advertisement
Linux doesn't have a proprietary file sharing mechanism like many other operating systems. To share between *nix boxes something like SSH, FTP, or maybe even HTTP could be used. But, that's not convenient to someone who wants to interact with a Windows system. The *nix interface to Windows networking is called Samba. To get files from the Windows machines you only need a Samba client (smbclient, or a graphical one such as Gnomba). To get files from the *nix machines you'll need to run a Samba daemon on those machines. I haven't actually done this myself, so I can't really help. But, now that you know what to look for, I'm sure you can find a tutorial online.

[edited by - Null and Void on September 14, 2002 8:19:29 PM]

Probably samba is installed by default. Try:
#testparm
If not - install. Don''t know how it is going in RH, may be through rpm?
Edit smb.conf. On my Slack it is in /etc/smb.conf
More less add these lines ( or uncomment )
---------
[pub]
  comment = Public
  path = /home/pub
  force user = me
  broweseable = yes
  force group = mine
  writeable = Yes
  create mask = 0664
  directory mask = 0775
  guest ok = Yes
---------

#kill -1 SMBD_PID
Should be all

Lekha

To share files across two Unix machines you want to use NFS.

Visit http://www.linuxdoc.org there''s plenty of HOWTO''s on how to setup Samba, NFS etc etc...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!