• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EagleEye1975

daocore.cpp assertion error

This topic is 5756 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Basic information: My program is developed in MS Visual C++ 6.0 with all current service patches. It is a tracking utility that uses a MS Access database as it''s data storage file. (CDaoRecordset stuff). I am running on Windows 2000, on an AMD K6/2 450 with 500+ MB RAM. Problem: Some users who download and try to run my program experience an internal application error. Upon sending them a debug version of the program, they report to me an error in daocore.cpp (line 453 I think.). It''s an assertion error regarding not being able to get the resource. Here''s a copy of the error message from the release version: CHARTRACKER caused an invalid page fault in module CHARTRACKER.EXE at 0177:0040a0f5. Registers: EAX=00000010 CS=0177 EIP=0040a0f5 EFLGS=00010297 EBX=008b9b32 SS=017f ESP=008b97dc EBP=008b9928 ECX=008bf150 DS=017f ESI=008b97dc FS=216f EDX=00000000 ES=017f EDI=008b991c GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 2b 82 a0 00 00 00 50 68 5c fe 61 00 8d 4d e0 51 Stack dump: 008b9aa0 00692240 008b9b32 cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc cccccccc (I have no idea what any of it means, but I''m including it if it helps). Basically, the error has to do with not being able to access the database. I tracked down the error to the exact point where it occurs in my program, and that point is exactly when it''s trying to open the database. This error generally seems to happen to people who are using a different OS version than myself. I originally released this program when I was developing it on a Windows 98 platform, and at that time, Windows 2000 users got the error. Upon upgrading to Windows 2000, I tried using the program on a clean install of Win2k, and got the error myself (finally... I had never seen the error personally before). Upon applying Win2k service patches and becoming up to date, the error went away (which is what I''ve been telling people to do if they are getting the error). Now, Windows 98 users seem to be having the most problems, but I am getting reports of Win2k and WinXP users also encountering the problem. I''m not happy telling users to patch up to make my program work... I figure I should have a stable product no matter what the deficiencies of the user''s OS are. The line where the error is happening: m_Db.Open(".\\chartracker.dat"); the .dat file is really a .mdb file (renamed to .dat to keep inquisitive people from opening it in MS Access), and is an MS Access 97 database. The only include I have that isn''t application-specific is for stdafx.h Questions: What do I need to do to ensure that people won''t get this error? Are there .dll''s that I need to include in my distribution package? If so, which ones? Is there a code change I can make to include the right things, so this error won''t happen? Is it just something I''m missing? Will provide code samples privately upon request and non-disclosure/non-use agreement. ICQ: 384954 or email: eagleeye@eeisi.com Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
quote:
I figure I should have a stable product no matter what the deficiencies of the user''s OS are

Unfortunatly, things don''t work like that. If your program requires the latest OS updates (assuming you''ve deduced that''s the problem), then so be it. Don''t get yourself in a knot over it, because hardware and software updates are a fact of life

quote:
Original post by Zipster
[quote]I figure I should have a stable product no matter what the deficiencies of the user''s OS are

Unfortunatly, things don''t work like that. If your program requires the latest OS updates (assuming you''ve deduced that''s the problem), then so be it. Don''t get yourself in a knot over it, because hardware and software updates are a fact of life

Yeah, that''s sort of what I figure. And windows 98 users really SHOULD update to at least Win2k... but honestly, I''m still not comfortable with it. I should be able to at least KNOW what''s causing the problem. Maybe then I could include a .dll or have a seperate download with that DLL if the user is having the problem, etc...

If I could track down what DLL would make it work, and just have that DLL reside in the app directory, that would be okay by me.

Okay, I feel stupid.

I had the wrong file name specified in the GetDefaultDBName() function for my recordsets.

I fixed that and had a user (who was getting the error previously) test it. Now they get a different error that seems much more simple to fix... if someone would be willing to point me in the right direction for it...

"Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine"

This explains why things work for me but don't for some others. My Jet db engine is starting up just fine, so when I used the normal "Open" function on my main database, it was opening it, and the GetDefaultDBName() thing was never used, because it had a DB to use already. But the users who weren't having JET initialize didn't have the CDaoDatabase opening, and when it went to go use the DEFAULT database for the recordset, it wasn't able to FIND the database, and it threw an exception.

Now it's FINDING the database, and so it's getting past that exception/assertion error, and throwing a real error that people can understand.

I've done research on MSDN about it... can't find any relevant stuff on the subject.

I had the user download and install the current MDAC (2.7 refresh), and the Jet DB install, just to be sure he had the Jet DLLs. Still no luck.

So can anyone tell me what I might be missing?

[edited by - EagleEye1975 on September 17, 2002 3:30:38 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!