GBA dev'rs?

Started by
25 comments, last by Shi-no-Mitsukai 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by Arek the Absolute
Shi-no-Mitsukai...!

Tsu--... Tsugumo''s Lair still exists?!?
Thank you for that link! TheGame was what got me into game development! I''m absolutely floored that I''ve found his site again! I haven''t seen it in YEARS. I thought he''d been sucked into oblivion or something.

-Arek the Absolute

I found that link here.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. How''s the RPG going?

Advertisement
I started GBA development just on Sept 8th. As most people do, I recommend The Pern Project, which has tutorials for most of the functionality for the GBA. I also really liked Audio Programming on the GameBoy Advance Part 1, which is located here on gamedev. I hope Chris Strickland writes the next part soon, as I''d like to move more towards music for the GBA. Another example that I thought was written really well for gcc, is a Pong game. It shows off fading and tile backgrounds really clearly. Check it out.

Anyway, I''m just working on a simple breakout clone right now. It uses mode 1. I will post it on my site when it''s completed.

Cheers!
-Gordon
quote:Original post by Shi-no-Mitsukai
Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. How''s the RPG going?

Heh... Pretty good... I''ve got a map editor all but finished, and changing maps and scripts (aside from writing a few more scripting functions) are already completed. What I''m doing at the moment is just rewriting stuff, now that I''ve gotten used to actually programming on the GBA. It''s almost embarrasing, some of the stuff you do when you''re still learning a new platform.

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
quote:Original post by Arek the Absolute
It''s almost embarrasing, some of the stuff you do when you''re still learning a new platform.

Tell me about it. I just about programmed myself retarded writing my pcx->gba converter. The effects are still lingering...

I don''t know if anyone''s ever mentioned Tile Studio ( http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net ), because the forum''s search feature is currently down, but it can automatically export code. It''s a free utility that can also be used as a tile or tile map editor. To generate code, you can use a pre-defined code generation script file or write one yourself. It sure is a heck of a lot easier and more powerful than trying to get your own sprite -> GBA converter to work.
I''ve been looking into GBA development for a while now and have finally decided to take the leap.

It''s going pretty good so far, but whenever I go to use a program to convert an image (pcx graphic file) into header information to put in a program, the image converter program just quickly opens itself (as a DOS program of course) and then shuts right away.

Any suggestions? It''d be nice to get something other than a little pixel on the screen

-SP
-SP
quote:Original post by Silent Player
the image converter program just quickly opens itself (as a DOS program of course) and then shuts right away.

Most DOS programs will do that, because they expect more info in their command lines. To use them, open a DOS prompt window and use them manually. i.e. open the DOS window, go to the directory the program is in, and do something like this (although this varies from program to program)

c:\folder\mypcxconverter image.pcx image.c

Personally, I''d still advise writing your own. I did, and gained two things from it. One, I understand how the image data works a LOT better, and two, my program is a lot more versatile, and able to convert images for a lot more purposes than most other converters I''ve seen.

If you don''t understand how the image data is layed out, just ask and I''ll fill you in, but that wasn''t your question.

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement