• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fireking

setting up the interface to an engine

This topic is 5851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

im creating an engine, and up to this point, its source is inside a win32 application project. I am wondering how i should set this up so it can be used by multiple applications without copying and pasting all the files/and or source. I was thinking you would need to make it a Win32 Static Library (.lib), but I only know how to Make a lib, i do not know how to USE a lib. Also, I want the classes to be visible in the class pane when users use my lib, do you have to manually put the headers into the project or is there some way this can be done automatically? Thanks, --Fireking Owner/Leader Genetics 3rd Dimension Development

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by fireking
I was thinking you would need to make it a Win32 Static Library (.lib), but I only know how to Make a lib, i do not know how to USE a lib.
Include the header file and goto:
Projects->Settings->Link and type in the name of the lib file. Make sure it is in your search path.
quote:
Also, I want the classes to be visible in the class pane when users use my lib, do you have to manually put the headers into the project or is there some way this can be done automatically?

After copying the help file over to the directory (or you can leave it in it''s original directory) goto:
Project->Add To Project->Files and open the header files you want. This will put it in the Class View pane.

Would be even better if you compiled your code as a Dynamic Link Library (.dll file). It is fairly easy to do so in VC6, just click your way while creating a project.

Then the method is fairly the same, just that you need to have the .dll file either in a Windows'' searchable dir (c:\windows\system) or in the same directory where the executable that needs the DLL is.

You won''t have to include a DLL into your project like you have to with a LIB.

-----------------------------
Valkyrias: Tears of Valkyries
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
[quote]Original post by fireking
I was thinking you would need to make it a Win32 Static Library (.lib), but I only know how to Make a lib, i do not know how to USE a lib.
Include the header file and goto:
Projects->Settings->Link and type in the name of the lib file. Make sure it is in your search path.
quote:
Also, I want the classes to be visible in the class pane when users use my lib, do you have to manually put the headers into the project or is there some way this can be done automatically?

After copying the help file over to the directory (or you can leave it in it''s original directory) goto:
Project->Add To Project->Files and open the header files you want. This will put it in the Class View pane.

Where should i store the project? I thought i knew how to make a lib, but after i made it i could not figure out how to correctly use it, so maybe i didnt make it correctly?

Should i store the project in the lib folder? I am using Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition

--Fireking

Owner/Leader
Genetics 3rd Dimension Development

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!