• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

henrym

String Tokenization

This topic is 5848 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm making a Console and I'm having lots of problems with my TokenizeCommand method:

bool CConsole::TokenizeCommand(const string &command)
{
	argc = 0;
	argv.clear();

istringstream data(command);
	string token;

//copy tokens to argv

while (data >> token)
	{
		argv[argc++] = token;
	}

return true;
}

argc is int, argv is std::vector<string>. It creates an unhandled exception : access violation. Code compiles fine, no errors but, a few warnings...which I have chosen to ignore (happens with all my projects using vector or string):

c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\vector(39) : warning C4786: 'std::reverse_iterator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > const *,std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> 
>,std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > const &,std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > const *,int>' : identifier was truncated to '255' characters in the debug information
        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\vector(39) : while compiling class-template member function '__thiscall std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<c
har,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >::std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >(const std::allocator<std:
:basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > &)'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\vector(39) : warning C4786: 'std::reverse_iterator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > *,std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std:
:basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > &,std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > *,int>' : identifier was truncated to '255' characters in the debug information
        c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\vector(39) : while compiling class-template member function '__thiscall std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<c
har,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >::std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >(const std::allocator<std:
:basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > &)'
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\vector(39) : warning C4786: 'std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > >
 >::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >' : identifier was truncated to '255' characters in the debug information
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\vector(60) : warning C4786: 'std::vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > >
 >::~vector<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> >,std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char> > > >' : identifier was truncated to '255' characters in the debug information

Is there anything at all wrong with my code? Henrym My Site [edited by - henrym on September 15, 2002 6:46:00 AM]

Advertisement
VC++ Specific - Get RID of the warnings with

#pragma warning(disable:4786) // stl names truncated to 255 chars

Make sure you do this *before including anything of the STL!*
Otherwise these will still plop up!

Regards
/Roger

Davepermen had the right answer. The explanation is that a vector is not an infinitely-sized array, and therefore you can''t just use the [] operator to add elements randomly. It needs to be of the appropriate size first. Using push_back handles this for you, as it increases the size by one and adds the element into that last position.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!