• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zyroth

DirectX 7 & 8 confusion

This topic is 5756 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I''m using Direct Draw 7, I''m trying to add sound to my game by using Direct Audio 8, but when I include dmusici.h it has all sorts of redeclaration problems with dxguid.lib... Should I just start using Direct Sound 7 and Direct Music 7? Or is there a way around this? Do what you do, and do it well.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Zyroth
Ok, I''m using Direct Draw 7, I''m trying to add sound to my game by using Direct Audio 8, but when I include dmusici.h it has all sorts of redeclaration problems with dxguid.lib...

Should I just start using Direct Sound 7 and Direct Music 7? Or is there a way around this?

I think you should just program with all the DX8 stuff, not DX7. DX8 came out in 2000, why program for the previous century ?

Because I already know some direct draw, I also have a book on it. I don''t know any audio stuff so I thought that I would try to use 8.

Never mind I''ll just use 7 for now and try to update to everything to 8 later.

Guest Anonymous Poster
DirectX 8.0 has backwards compatibility with directX 7.0. In your case you should use the directx 8.0 API, and query the direct draw 7 interfaces. (Examples of how this is done are contained in the direct draw samples in direct x 8.0). This should resolve your dxguid problems.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!