• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason2Jason

Assembly Language??

This topic is 5934 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm still leraning C++ and open GL to make (or help make in the case of a job) games. I've seen that quite a few games have some sort of assembly language as well with C/C++. I even read my favorite building type game of all time, rollercoaster tycoon,was made entirly of x86 assembly. Do I need to learn this to get into the game programming carrer? Where would the best place be to get simple tutorials (for beginners) on assembly, and where can I get a compiler (or asemberler??) for it? I've seen different assembly names, but which one should I learn? I'll have a quick search through google whilst I wait. Thanks, -J [edited by - jason2jason on September 15, 2002 10:40:11 AM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
A qutoe from John Carmack June 27th, 2002 .plan file:

"I have not done a detailed comparison with Cg. There are a half dozen C-like
graphics languages floating around, and honestly, I don''t think there is a
hell of a lot of usability difference between them at the syntax level. They
are all a whole lot better than the current interfaces we are using, so I hope
syntax quibbles don''t get too religious. It won''t be too long before all real
work is done in one of these, and developers that stick with the lower level
interfaces will be regarded like people that write all-assembly PC
applications today. (I get some amusement from the all-assembly crowd, and it
can be impressive, but it is certainly not effective)"

http://www.webdog.org/plans/1/

A sign of the times is the increasing interval between threads like these.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence.

Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

If you''re still learning C++ don''t even THINK about assembly. Yeah, you can get pretty intimidated by all the "assembly is the key to the universe" talk, but simply pretend that it doesn''t exist.
In the age of the Gigaherz, assembly is something for top-of-the-notch 3D engine programmers, crackers and people who simply want to learn what it''s all about.

As long as you don''t work on Doom 4 or Unreal 3, you won''t need it. Seriously.

But I will one day then. I''m quite good with C++ (Syntax wise, and some use of it.) Been learning it for a few years now, since I was 12 1/2, now I''m 15 3/4. Does that quallify me to learn it!?

-J

Assembly is a good thing to learn, especially if you want to know more about how your hardware actually works... there are some good article references on this site in the article section...
However, I find it hard to believe that a game like RollerCoaster Tycoon can be written entirely in assembly... That sounds misleading... I''d be interested to see the source where you read that.

It depends how well you know c++. By well I mean do you understand what you''re doing or do you just accept it works? If you understand what you''re doing then sure learn a little asm. It ain''t really that hard just as long as you have a good grasp of c++.

Oh btw I started learning c++ at similar age to you and I''m 15 1/2 now so if you''ve learnt(and understood) the same ammount of stuff I have you''ll find asm simple

Chris Sawyers official site, which i think he made. He's the maker of it by the way.

EDIT: HERE'S the link.

-J

[edited by - jason2jason on September 15, 2002 11:21:09 AM]

[edited by - jason2jason on September 15, 2002 11:23:20 AM]

Assembler is still used in games, however, it is usually inline assembler(c & asm mixed), and not full blown assembler. The last game I know that was written entirely in assembler is NBA Jams.

A good assembly programmer, working hard, can beat an compiler 9 times outta ten. However, this requires more skillz / learning than you will prolly want to put into game programming. You not only have to learn the language, you will also have to learn the structure of the machine itself, and if you are not careful, your code might only work on one type of processor.

ASM is used for often used functions in game developement, such as vector libraries, and to access functions that were not coded in C++, such as the SIMD functions, and hidden 64 bit numbers in intel processors. It is not generally used to write entire games, and it prolly won''t be an issue / needed until you become more advance with C++.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!