• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pixel_Sticks

********** GLUT **********

This topic is 5760 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone please tell me what GLUT is all about when referring to OpenGL prpgramming? A friend gave me his old OpenGL book "OpenGL SuperBible 2nd ed." and it uses GLUT throughout the whole book. Or at least as far as i can tell. I *think* that GLUT is some simplified version of OpenGL, if that is so, will it hinder me in the future if I learn OpenGL using GLUT? If that is not what GLUT is, can someone please tell me what it is or at least elaborate on what i already assume that it is. Thanks.

Advertisement
glut is a cross platform library for use with opengl that takes care of the windowing and sets several callback functions.

GLUT is abbreviation of Graphics Library Utility Toolkit. It''s an API written for handling OpenGL Windows, very useful for small OpenGL applications. I think is GLUT lacking in usability when working with larger projects though (my opinion).

What kind of book is it anyway that does not explain what GLUT is?

-Luctus

GLUT also simplifies the creation of geometric obects like spheres, which would otherwise require three more lines of code. :D It also doesn''t give you the choice of how many vertices you would like to create such objects.

Peace out,
Mathematix.

I think i am going to read further into the book, but i must also ask...

Will the methods and syntax using GLUT be helpful when i learn OpenGL without GLUT?

Or....

Will it teach me the wrong methods and eventually hinder my progress with a normal OpenGL book?

thanks again.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!