********** GLUT **********

Started by
6 comments, last by Pixel_Sticks 21 years, 7 months ago
Can someone please tell me what GLUT is all about when referring to OpenGL prpgramming? A friend gave me his old OpenGL book "OpenGL SuperBible 2nd ed." and it uses GLUT throughout the whole book. Or at least as far as i can tell. I *think* that GLUT is some simplified version of OpenGL, if that is so, will it hinder me in the future if I learn OpenGL using GLUT? If that is not what GLUT is, can someone please tell me what it is or at least elaborate on what i already assume that it is. Thanks.
Advertisement
glut is a cross platform library for use with opengl that takes care of the windowing and sets several callback functions.
GLUT is abbreviation of Graphics Library Utility Toolkit. It''s an API written for handling OpenGL Windows, very useful for small OpenGL applications. I think is GLUT lacking in usability when working with larger projects though (my opinion).

What kind of book is it anyway that does not explain what GLUT is?

-Luctus
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
GLUT also simplifies the creation of geometric obects like spheres, which would otherwise require three more lines of code. :D It also doesn''t give you the choice of how many vertices you would like to create such objects.

Peace out,
Mathematix.
I think i am going to read further into the book, but i must also ask...

Will the methods and syntax using GLUT be helpful when i learn OpenGL without GLUT?

Or....

Will it teach me the wrong methods and eventually hinder my progress with a normal OpenGL book?

thanks again.
damn double posts :/

[edited by - Pixel_Sticks on September 15, 2002 12:38:02 PM]
********** GLUT FAQ **********

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
thanks for the link man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement