fstream help in Console C++

Started by
7 comments, last by Nextgenneo 21 years, 7 months ago
I am reading from a text file which containts integers AND strings which are all mixed up. I need to sort all the stuff into an array of ints and an array of string. I am using fstream.h. So, i have a loop like: while (!file.eof()) { // Here is where i want to read stuff in } But i need a way of distinguishing whether what i am about to read in is of type int or string. Can ne1 help? All i can think of is reading it as a string then testing the ascii value of the first letter of that string to c whether its a number and using the atoi function to convert it to an int, and dump it in the array of ints or if it is not a number dump it in an array of strings. The obvious draw back to this method is what if one of my strings is like, "101Dalmations" and its just a stupid method. Again, ne ideas will be greatly aprreciated!
Advertisement
If its a file that is written by you, you should design your files and not make them messy.
If youre reading a file that can be anything, I dont know
The file is NOT written by me. Its an assignment in my AP Computer Science class and our teacher said that we cannot re write the file. If i could have i would have.
The file is NOT written by me. Its an assignment in my AP Computer Science class and our teacher said that we cannot re write the file. If i could have i would have.
uhm... There was a function IS_CHAR() or IS_INT() or something, I DONT KNOW FOR SURE! but I thought there was one
What you are talking about is a parser. May find some stuff about it on the web.

Off the top of my head something like this would do the trick:

#include <iostream>#include <sstream>#include <fstream>#include <vector>using namespace std;main(){    string ThisItem;    vector<int> IntArray;    vector<std::string> StringArray;    ifstream File("test.txt");    if( File.fail() ) {        cout << "Could not open file" << endl;        return;    }       while( !File.eof() ) {             File >> ThisItem;        if( ThisItem.find_first_not_of("0123456789") != string::npos ) {            // ThisItem contains non-numeric characters so treat as a string            StringArray.push_back(ThisItem);                  }        else {            // all characters are numeric so treat as an int            stringstream ss;            int Temp;            ss << ThisItem;            ss >> Temp;            IntArray.push_back(Temp);        }    }    // verify    cout << "Strings:" << endl;    for( vector<string>::size_type i = 0; i < StringArray.size(); ++i) {        cout << StringArray[i] << endl;    }    cout << "Ints:" << endl;    for( vector<int>::size_type i = 0; i < IntArray.size(); ++i) {        cout << IntArray[i] << endl;    }}  

I realise I just did ya homework but hey I''m feeling generous and not particularly pedagogical.

P.S. I think the way i think the way I converted from a string to an int was somewhat lame, anyone know a better way?
You could read it as a string first, and then try to convert it to an int.

//...  std::string str;  the_ifstream >> str;  int number=convert_to_number(str);  if (conversion_succeeded) {    do_something(number);  } else {    do_something(str);  }//...  
yes i think the way twanvl put it was better
Thanks a lot guys! MAD NICE. Both ways are good and i realize that you did my hwk for me, thanks a lot! But at least i learnt how to do it, not jsut blatant copying, (sort of)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement