• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xanth

HTML Parsing

This topic is 5853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Actually it''s not so much parsing as it is "reading", what I mean is, HTML files are full of "" (for the tag attributes), how is it that this is possible without escaping the quotes (\" \") ??

Advertisement
I''m not sure what you mean but I think what you''re trying to say is: How come the "" in HTML dont look like i.e.

You have to remeber that HTML is read by the web browser and not the computer so anything goes

hope that helps..

Yes, but the browser has to parse the HTML as well, its still a string of some kind in a program on the computer.

Also, XML is parsed by all sorts of programs, other than browsers.

When you make up a string in a source code file, you are using \" as an escape so that the COMPILER doesn''t read the quotation marks for their main purpose, but instead as a literal quotating that gets placed in the string.

HTML source files are tagged and context sensitive. For example, I can write " "" """ "" as many times as I want and the Web Browser''s rendering processes will still regard it as arbitrary text that gets displayed. However, the arrows are tag markers, and if I wanted to imbed them in normal text, I''d need an escape character like I did in the compiler.

What you should basically regard this as is a Different Program, Different Rules situation.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!