OpenGL and Blender

Started by
6 comments, last by Quantrizi 21 years, 7 months ago
Is it possible to load blender files into an OpenGL program? :: Rad Programs Software ::
"Houston, we have a bugger" - Bart Simpson
Advertisement
The general rule of thumb is that if you know the file format of a file created in 3D modelling software, you can extract the data from it, and use it in your program. You can find definitions of file formats on www.wotsit.org...

Oh, and Bart''s line is actually "Houston, we have a booger". Sorry to be incredibly sad...

Movie Quote of the Week:

"You mean, let me understand this...cuz I...maybe it''s me,
maybe I''m a little f**ked up maybe. I''m funny how, I mean
funny, like I''m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh?
I''m here to f**kin'' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny?
Funny how? How am I funny?"
- Tommy, Goodfellas.Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle. Seriously. It''s brilliant.
And I just completely redesigned it so it looks even better.
DarkVertex Beta 0.8 available soon!
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]

Unfortunately, the Blender file format was never released. I think it was changing a lot.

However, since Blender supports Python scripting, there are some (rather crappy *cough*) export scripts out there for various file formats that you CAN write a loader for. Lets hope that since it''s now open source, someone will make it easier to extract data.

Just found something for ya (and me, since I''m trying to do the same thing). From Blender, you can export your model as a .DXF file. There''s a utility at:

http://www.gamehippo.com/gamedev/utilities.shtml

...that will allow you to convert this .DXF file to a .3DS file. 3DS is a common format and writing a loader for it shouldn''t be a big deal.

I''m not sure about exporting animations, though.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

...that will allow you to convert this .DXF file to a .3DS file. 3DS is a common format and writing a loader for it shouldn''t be a big deal.

ARghhh!!! Don''t EVER say that.

The geometry of a 3ds file is easy to extract, but the orientation and scaling data (among other) is hidden away in the keyframer part of the file and that is a real **** to extract any information from since there are close to no documentation avaliable for that. (If anyone got a clue on how to do it, PLEASE e-mail me)

-Luctus
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams
Oh Blender is about to become OpenSource AFIAK so the file format should be released as well
Well, I know there''s a 3DS file loader program at www.gametutorials.com, but I don''t know if it provides easy access to the orientation and scaling data Luctus mentions...

Movie Quote of the Week:

"You mean, let me understand this...cuz I...maybe it''s me,
maybe I''m a little f**ked up maybe. I''m funny how, I mean
funny, like I''m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh?
I''m here to f**kin'' amuse you? Whattya you mean funny?
Funny how? How am I funny?"
- Tommy, Goodfellas.Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle. Seriously. It''s brilliant.
And I just completely redesigned it so it looks even better.
DarkVertex Beta 0.8 available soon!
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
quote:Original post by iNsAn1tY
Well, I know there''s a 3DS file loader program at www.gametutorials.com, but I don''t know if it provides easy access to the orientation and scaling data Luctus mentions...

Nope, it doesn''t. There is however a reader at sourceforge called c3ds that _might_ do (found it just after my last post =P ), havent had time to look into it yet though.

-Luctus
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement