problems with "winnt.h"

Started by
4 comments, last by DarkHamster 21 years, 7 months ago
ok... I was coding in win98 recently.. upgraded to winxp... and now any program which includes windows.h seems to give me errors. --------------------Configuration: Engine - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling... Engine.cpp c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(143) : warning C4067: unexpected tokens following preprocessor directive - expected a newline c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : error C2146: syntax error : missing '';'' before identifier ''WCHAR'' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found InputSystem.cpp c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(143) : warning C4067: unexpected tokens following preprocessor directive - expected a newline c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : error C2146: syntax error : missing '';'' before identifier ''WCHAR'' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found OGLWindow.cpp c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(143) : warning C4067: unexpected tokens following preprocessor directive - expected a newline c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : error C2146: syntax error : missing '';'' before identifier ''WCHAR'' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found WinMain.cpp c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(143) : warning C4067: unexpected tokens following preprocessor directive - expected a newline c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : error C2146: syntax error : missing '';'' before identifier ''WCHAR'' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\winnt.h(144) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found Error executing cl.exe. Engine.exe - 8 error(s), 4 warning(s) thats the full readout if it helps solve my problem any help would be greatly appreciated

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
Advertisement
Must be due to some conflict that arose when you upgraded, and VC++ didn''t catch on. Try to install or upgrade the Platform SDK, it seems like you don''t have it, right? If you do, you must check your include paths and be sure the SDK''s are above VC''s.
ummm... I''m kinda new -- and I was entirely unaware of this "platform SDK" (well I knew of it, just not what it was), please elaborate on this... thanks

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
Here: http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/default.htm

Nice little download of 350 MB or something, if you want it all. It contains all header files and libraries you need to develop anything for windows, plus all the documentation.

However, that shouldn''t be related to your problem. It probably is so, that when you upgraded (was in an upgrade or clean install?) to windows XP it desided for the first time to include winnt.h, and it causes some problem. Perhaps the file is damanged?
MS will also mail you the Platform SDK on CD for shipping costs only. There should be info about that at the link CWizard provided.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Looks like you''re missing wchar definitions. Try including wchar.h (I think that''s what it is) before windows.h to see if it fixes anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement