• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

podbuster

Programming Goals

This topic is 5853 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There has probably been posts such as this one in the past but I haven''t seen one yet so here it is. The topic of this post is "Programming Goals." The actual question is: What are some things you hope to accomplish (or make) while being a programmer? For me, I''m learning C++ from a combonation of Internet sites and books. My first goal, once I get better at programming would be to make a fully functional, WORKING, Assembly Language IDE. A lot of the ones i''ve been told to download are crap. They either won''t run properly (with the correct requirements) or they output errors for no reason. So this is my first priority after I learn C++. My second priority would be to begin learning OpenGL so that I, like most programmers, can begin programming games. I would like to have 1 of 2 things happen: 1. I would like to get a job as a game programmer or 2. I would like to begin my own game development team. #2 might be the hardest one to accomplish. Then again, anything is possible. Enough of my thoughts, would anyone else care to share on this topic?

Advertisement
Well, my goals are to be comfortable with C++, Assembly, DirectX, and Windows API. Another (seperate) goal is to use the debugging tools for my own benefit, to the fullest extent possible.

I probably only know (modestly) 25% of all there is to know about C++, and that is the only Language/API I have seriously started on.

/*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
trae@illicitstudios.com
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*/

I''ve achieved a level where I feel comfortable with C++ (there are still something I need to learn, like polymorphism, templates, etc, but I feel comfortable with it) and am comfortable with DirectInput and DirectDraw. My goal someday is to remake Spectre VR (It''s an old DOS game where you shoot enemy tanks and capture all the flags. It''s wireframe 3D). I think that''s a very reasonable goal (Not like Doom 4 ) My goal is to do that by May this year.

quote:
My goal someday is to remake Spectre VR
Sweet! My dad loves this game. Let me know when you finish it.

My ultimate goal is to program an artificial intelligence that is smarter than me in every way.

My intermediate goal is to know C++ & Python as well as its architects.

My short term goal is to finish a remake and enhancement of an old dos game called Ball.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!