• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elendil67

Help with learning Direct3D

This topic is 5754 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all. I''ve been mosying around for the past year or so ''learning'' Direct3D, OpenGL, and DirectDraw. I''ve figured out that my learning cycle isn''t the greatest. I don''t know what it is. Do I have a lack of patience? I can''t seem to get through my books. I think it''s time for a different learning method. Maybe I just need to see some leet game results. Should I sign up for GameInstitute.com? I don''t really know the math needed for it (linear algebra, trig, etc.), because I haven''t gotten to high school yet. Does anybody know where I can find good math stuff? Any good tutorials out there? I want to be able to make a game with OpenGL 2.0 and/or DirectX 9 when it comes out. Nothing complicated, maybe just 3D pong or something. Thanks!

Advertisement
It is not you, it is your limited back ground and the difficulty of DX combined. I had the same problem. What I learned that there is no half pregnent. I mean it takes a lot of knowledge to build a basic game and to make the initial break-in into the DX world. The knowledge required is not proportion to how simple the game is at the starting level.

To be frank with you, if you did not complete hi school, It will take you the equivelent work of making up for what you did not learn. It all depends if you welling to invest time and money, and if you are patient enough. Nothing is impossible, but be realistic.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!