• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SikCiv

DMusic and DSound Simultaneous?

This topic is 6618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Say u have DSound playing in-game samples such as opening doors and the like, with DMusic playing a midi file in the background running under the MS SoftSynth driver (No WaveTable hardware). Would DMusic use the primary sound device to output the software synthesis leaving no resources for DSound, or are they mixed in together? I guessing DMusic would use WaveTable hardware if it exists, so DSound can use the Primary Wave output.

Advertisement
With Microsoft synthetiser which is the default one there is no hardware acceleration unless your sound card supports DLS (downloadable instruments). You can enumerate available synthetizers and select another one to utilize hardware acceleration (WaveTable, WaveGuide and so) but midi sounds better with MS synth. On the other hand MS synth is software on the most cards and it cause a little slowdown.
I think DMusic is mixing channels of active segment together with DSound soundbuffers actually played.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!