New Camera Tutorial

Started by
12 comments, last by tobymurray 20 years, 5 months ago
Howdy all, just a qick post to let you know that I''ve just finished writing a camera tutorial. Basically it focuses on the creation of a first-person space-shooter type camera, and how it can be modified to suit the first-person-shooter genre. here (alternatively you can find the tute at the site linked in my sig.) This comes after a recent spate of posts regarding how you might implement such a system. The article covers both the theory and practise of the system. Comments / criticisms are welcome. Thanks Toby Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray
Advertisement
bump

On second thoughts I''m going to ask outright for comments on the tutorial, kinda like "what do you think of my new game?" only "what do you reckon of this tutorial?"

Is it any good?
what needs to be improved?
Is it useful or does it cover stuff thats not worth covering in a tute?

Any comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks again,
Toby

Gobsmacked - by Toby Murray
Nice tutorial. Where was something like that when I needed it? It''s the first one(writen for beginers) for using read 3D camera. But I disagree with "Restrictions" part. Cuttion off one dimension is just not the anwser... Also all those matrix multiplications are not so nice...

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Thanks _DarkWIng_ for the reply and the comments.
Regarding these I''m anxious to hear any suggestions on how I can improve the tutorial. Can you elaborate on the two points that you make - about the alterations to use the camera in a first-person-shooter and about the way the matrices are concatenated (multiplied) together before being applied to the 3 vectors. They are concerns that I also share about the tutorial, however I haven''t thought of a better way of doing things (in either case) -however I''m sure that one exists.

Thanks again,
Toby

Now thats a rather clear explanation of the theory I''m using OpenGL myself so i''m not sure how many snags there are with differing coordinate systems and lacking a camera/view matrix, but they should boil down to some minor tweeks to constructing the final view matrix. I may have a shot at implementing this if i get time, i could let you know of any differences if you want.
About FPS moving: The idea about not being able to move up and down should be based on physic engine and collision detection&response and not on camera system.
About matrices: Isn''t there a way to counstruct complete matrix at once? Create full rotation matrix and then just replace last row(or collum) with inverse translation vector.

Your point on the FPS is very well taken _DarkWInG_ I shall endevour to alter the tutorial to indicate that this is more of a quick fix and that in a "real" game you would use the physics engine to achieve this.

Doesn''t opengl have a modelview matrix? is this the same as the view matrix in d3d.
OGL must have 3 matries - one for local space to world space, another for world space to camera space, and a third for camera space to screen space.
the second of these three is the one I''m referring to in the tutorial. can you let me know how the ogl port goes as I''d like to make mention of it in the tutoiral.

once I get to my regular machine I''ll make the modifications and they should appear in a couple days or so.

thanks guys for your comments so far. much appreciated.
Toby

quote:Original post by tobymurray
Doesn''t opengl have a modelview matrix? is this the same as the view matrix in d3d.
OGL must have 3 matries - one for local space to world space, another for world space to camera space, and a third for camera space to screen space.

As far as i''m aware, the model view matrix in OpenGL is the equivilent of DX''s local->world and world->eye matricies combined together (+ projection matrix for eye->screen and tex matrix of course). Not really a problem since some careful push-ing and pop-ing of them works nicely.
generally good but it would be nice (for some) to see how the final view matrix is constructed.

a quaternion implementation would be good too.

A Problem Worthy of Attack
Proves It''s Worth by Fighting Back
spraff.net: don't laugh, I'm still just starting...
I have not read the entire tutorial, but so far it is very good! I have always had trobule implementing a decent FPS camera, I plan to implement this into my engine, good job. Keep up the good work, and I would suggest submitting it to GDnet, as far as I know they are in disre(sp) need of tutorials.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement