• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBA

The MAP-file-format

This topic is 6618 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can somebody explain me this format, used e.g. as temporary file compiling quake levels. Know somebody a tut on this in the web???

Advertisement
The MAP format uses planes that should be clipped against each other, there is a fine tutorial on levelediting on flipCode it explains the MAP format, plus there is a util you can download that converts MAP files into a better format.

Greets Tobias

Urgh, the map format is really messy, as Tobias said it defines a list of clipping planes(3 points), which you use to create your object.

Be warned, the tutorial on flipcode isn't that helpful for writing a converter, unless you know what you're doing. And the converter listed on the site has several serious bugs. The worse being that if you define any shape where several planes share the same point, it generates objects with many missing triangles.
Try it with a sphere, or cone, and see.
Lots of other problems, too many to list.
If you want to create some decent levels, you might want to consider your own custom file format, which you could output or convert from a 3D modelling package, like Max etc.

Edited by - IDC on 4/12/00 5:10:16 PM

Guest Anonymous Poster
Take a look at the quake tools, especially the source code to their editor (I look at the q2 version, qe4). You can basically pull out the code that reads in a map file into the quake structures, which are basically:

brush -> faces -> points (winding)

You can then take that structure and convert it to your own.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!