• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

w_w_JohnCarmack_d

Java, C++ or Basic?

This topic is 5851 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is basic used @ all in games anymore? I thought I hard it used to be used for AI or something. Also, why is c++ used over java for games? Is java slower, or just fewer/ less capable libraries for Java than c++ when it comes to games?

Advertisement
I think java wasnt made for games at all. (maybe i can be wrong)
Many things i have done using java and other language like c++, the one made in java was slower then the other.
So i prefer c++!

Snade

Ehh, John? I would think you'd know the answer to that question...

To understand which language is faster, you need to understand the differences which make them faster/slower. Without going into those details, as I suspect all you want is an answer, C++ is the generally accepted standard if you're doing performance intensive engine work. That's not to say other languages can't do it, but you'll be hard-pressed to find one that performs as well. VB has its place though. I would take VB hands down over C++ if I were making tools to support my graphics engine. It takes so little time with VB to get something up and running with a nice user interface, and tools aren't generally performance intensive. In the end, it really comes down to choosing the right tool for the job.

[edited by - lunarss on September 16, 2002 5:13:17 PM]

I think you should mention Delphi.

It''s an easy language, yet it can do everything C++ can.
It makes developing applications much easier, the clearer code means less bugs. It''s ideal for beginners who come here asking ''I bought this C++ book, should I read it all before I start programming games'' ?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!