Java, C++ or Basic?

Started by
3 comments, last by w_w_JohnCarmack_d 21 years, 7 months ago
Is basic used @ all in games anymore? I thought I hard it used to be used for AI or something. Also, why is c++ used over java for games? Is java slower, or just fewer/ less capable libraries for Java than c++ when it comes to games?
Advertisement
I think java wasnt made for games at all. (maybe i can be wrong)
Many things i have done using java and other language like c++, the one made in java was slower then the other.
So i prefer c++!

Snade

Snadeicq: 77759408
Ehh, John? I would think you'd know the answer to that question...

To understand which language is faster, you need to understand the differences which make them faster/slower. Without going into those details, as I suspect all you want is an answer, C++ is the generally accepted standard if you're doing performance intensive engine work. That's not to say other languages can't do it, but you'll be hard-pressed to find one that performs as well. VB has its place though. I would take VB hands down over C++ if I were making tools to support my graphics engine. It takes so little time with VB to get something up and running with a nice user interface, and tools aren't generally performance intensive. In the end, it really comes down to choosing the right tool for the job.

[edited by - lunarss on September 16, 2002 5:13:17 PM]
I think this topic has been discussed extensively before.

Search the forums and look at this:

Evaluating Java for game development
I think you should mention Delphi.

It''s an easy language, yet it can do everything C++ can.
It makes developing applications much easier, the clearer code means less bugs. It''s ideal for beginners who come here asking ''I bought this C++ book, should I read it all before I start programming games'' ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement