• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kosh

DirectX Help Files

This topic is 6706 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I would like to know, is there anywhere on the net where you can download a printable version of the directx help files, for version 7, I can get the mshtml version, but I cannot print that, cause it dont work, I can only print from word, which I need a .doc file for that. If you have this file, and some spare webspace, please, put it up, so that people can get it, it''s something I need, perhaps it''s something someone else needs to. Thanks kosh

Advertisement
copy and paste EVERY page in the directx 7 manual into notepad and print EVERY page I N D I V I D U A L L Y !!!!

are you mad ?? that would take a bloody age.

Not really what I had in mind since I wanna print the entire manual, not just a few pages

kosh

Why would anyone want to print that manual? I''m sorry, but I''m an anti-printout person. Learn to read on the screen, buy a palm top, do anything, but don''t print things. It''s not meant to be. Total waste of resources for no particular reason.

A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.

If the DX 7 sdk is like the DX 6 SDK in the SDK directory there should be a directory called docs. In there, there are all of the seperate help sections Direct Draw, Direct Play, Direct 3D, etc. Each in there own word document.

Failing that I believe that you can post off to Microsoft and purchace the DX manuals profesionaly bound but that is expencive.

Armitage,
I agree, I wouldnt want to waste paper on this, I would prefer it if I could read it from my screen, but as desktop space is a premium and I cannot afford a laptop, then my only other alternative is to print it, like it or not, this is the only solution, either that or have the horrible situation where I have to flick between them, which is not what I like and it''s not what I want.

I want to read both the code and the helpfiles simulatiously, also, without a laptop, doing research with my computer unavailable is almost impossible, since I dont have a laptop, also, think about reading in bed, it''s just beneficial to have the printouts that you can read, like it or not, this is the only solution, telling me you''d rather me buy a laptop and use that for helpfiles and my screen for programming will just get you laughed at

kosh

Armitage,
oh yeah, there is a great reason for printing and not buying a laptop, it will cost me £4 for a printout of the entire manual, it will cost me £400 for a cheap laptop, you do the maths, and tell me that you''re ideas are actually a satisfactory solution.

kosh

What Problem do you have with Printing from the CHTML Files,
It works fine with my, and it uses the standard Printer Interface, it just takes a while Formatting, if you wan''t to print the whole Documentation (wouldn be usefull to do).

So why doesn''t print ?

Lars

Guest Anonymous Poster
Hey! *knocks on your head* Anyone alive in there?

/mssdk/docs <-- it''s in your DirectX directory

Just load up the appropriate file in Word and print. They are all HUGE files though, so get your reams of paper ready.

quote:
Original post by Kosh
this is the only solution, either that or have the horrible situation where I have to flick between them, which is not what I like and it's not what I want.

And that's the problem, right - your ability to adapt. I fully understand your point, though, and I might add that I'm flicking. Most people don't feel comfortable with that, at least not yet. I don't blame you, and there's no way I can counter the "reading in bed" argument other than with "read something else on those occasions".
Regarding £400, yes, it's overly expensive for the luxury of reading dx7 help files. I can bet though, that you use a printer for more than this single instance
But anyway, it wasn't a matter of cash or accessibility, merely a matter of principle that made me speak out. I'm not against it for wasting paper/the environment, really.
It's for the inefficient use of technology available to us(I'm not talking about you, now).
Anyway, I'll stop pressing this.

It seems as if the docs in /mssdk/docs weigh in on about 2k pages. I hope you have a better printer than me. I'd have to feed it new papers manually after every tenth page or so.

Edited by - Armitage on 4/10/00 6:09:23 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!