OpenGL+DirectSound

Started by
8 comments, last by Riccardo 24 years ago
Hi to everyone I hope this is the right place to post my question (and I hope it is not a faq...). I''ve heard around (web) that it is possible, in Win32, to use OpenGL for 3D graphics and DirectSound for sound in a program .. thanks to NEHE tutorials I''ve now no problems with OpenGL, but I have no experience in DirectX or DirectSound .. I would like to know if someone can point me some good tutorial or starting point for this topic .. I need only to play a simple WAV file in my little game when the user press a key .. a more advanced question is how to play a midi file in the background, but for now it would be great to solve the wav problem .. thank you in advance for any help. Greetings from Italy, Riccardo P.S. Excuse me for my poor English
--------Riccardo--------
Advertisement
you really don''t need to use direct sound to do this, but if you''re looking for experience with it download the sdk (err order it now a days) from microsoft.

your other route is to use the windows api to play wav files. lots of examples around the net (code guru is the place to go for things like this IMHO).

Well... you can download the SDK if you have a FAST connection. considering it''s 128 megs =)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=16927

theres the site for it.

Axehandler
Ciao Riccardo,
DirectSound ti permette molte più cose di una semplice esecuzione di file *wav, mixing,pan,cambio di frequenza ecc.
L''API è semplice, puoi richiedere il CD di DirectX direttamente alla Microsoft, è gratuito e ti arriva in pochi giorni.
Se invece hai esigenze più semplici usa la funzione
PlaySound(..)con una riga di codice ottieni il tuo suono !!
se vuoi scrivimi info@aracnet.it
?
HE SAID Direct Translation =)

------

Hello Riccardo,

DirectSound allows many more things you than one simple execution of rows * wav, mixing, pan, change of frequency etc. The BEES are simple, can directly demand the CD of DirectX to the Microsoft, are free and it arrives to you in little days. If instead you have simpler requirements a code line uses the PlaySound(..)con function obtains your sound!! if you want scrivimi info@aracnet.it
Ricardo,

I''ve done such a combination in my mini flight simulator project - sonata. It''s OpenGL running in DirectSound & DirectMusic.

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~sinfonia

the source will be out in may.

you may contact me at kien@post.com

kien

Hi
I wish to thank every one has replied to my question .. I''m tring my way out with directsound and opengl .. thanks to all of you

Riccardo
--------Riccardo--------
Well, for one, DirectSound allows you to have hardware mixing. Using the Win32 API for playing sound is slower, as some say.. I am developing a DirectSound and DirectSound3D DLL right now. The best way to learn it is to read the MSDN library and look at the source code.
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
Let us not forget about OpenML (Open Media Library?). Like DirectX but from SGI, hitachi, blah blah blah.

MENTAL

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement