• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darrin

PR Joint Project Bits

This topic is 6788 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I have come up with some rough alien skys. check at http://sense3.iwarp.com/skys.html - These use the standard sky method as used in PRLand. Have also created the first 2 alien meshes. Will post some screens later on. Project programmers, have we decided if it is going to be written in C or C++ yet? We could just about get going, using the standard PR terrain engine for texturing purposes anyway, unless anyone is willing to write their own terrain engine. Cheers Darrin

Advertisement
You may also want to check out

http://sense3.iwarp.com/slizer.html

for the first of the alien series

Cheers
Darrin

The Skies look good dude ...
Can't we mix C & C++ I think it is possible

Nat

Edited by - nat on 4/10/00 10:02:40 PM

C/C++ Should be ok, if it is done properley, I usually end up mixing up both together most of time anyways

Guest Anonymous Poster
As usual, great job Darrin!
The alien skies look incredible very good job!
I just received the meshes too and they are great!

I have some pointers: the mandibles of the alien warrior are not animated that will really be very cool, also I always imagined the alien skins a bit darker, the polygon count is a bit higher than I expected and the soldiers faces dont have to be so well defined (in polygons I mean), since this is going to be an open terrain game. The soldiers look great but they are terribly unprotected, If I was going to fight so terrible critters at least I will use some kind of armor and very importantly a helmet.
However this is just nit picking the models are really great, I will work a bit with them and some models im working on.

I also received a few days ago a mp3 song by SRM is a great song for inside levels Ill put it in the download section so all members can hear it.

Im having some problems on how to post this in the website though my 3d studio renders just dont make justice to the models (im getting errors of one missing texture too), do you think we should add them to the download section?

The download section will be for members only. You will have to use the password to enter.

And again great job darrin! Ill post your skies pictures in the concept art section they are really inspirational!

Cheers Guys,
Az, I have done a bit of work since I sent you the meshes.
Check http://sense3.iwarp.com/slizer.html

I agree with your comments, will animate the mandible.
The Alien Meshes are quite a low poly count as is, could probably reduce it more tho. Also could implement some LOD for meshes. ie in the distance replace all of the segs with really lo poly meshes.

The aliens do need some sort of weaponary/sheilds. I am a bit unsure about armour tho, they are already naturally armoured.

I will use my site for temporary graphics postings, and will notify you when any changes are made.

Cheers
Darrin

Friendly advice: I wouldn''t mix C and C++ code if I were you. That would make for some hellacious code maintenance.

I think mixing C/C++ is ok.

Suppose you were writing aliens AI. Put it in a seperate file alienai.c/alienai.cpp then make two or three funtions which will be called from the main file. One could be the Initialization and the other would be the one in the main loop .

If any Globals have to be called put them as comments in the same file starting. This will make the integration a lot easier. I normally follow this

Any way this is what I think .. what do u guys think ?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!