• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lode

Pretty annoying problem, but I solved it...

This topic is 6055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I found something really lacking in WinXP appearantly, although it may also be because of NVRefresh Tool. I moved my computer from my home to my dorm room, and I''ve got a smaller, older, computer screen here, so I plugged on this old screen, started it up, and... everything was black: the screen put itself in safe mode because it couldn''t handle the refresh rate of 120Hz. So I booted in safe mode instead, and too bad you can''t change the resolution of the not-so-safe mode there, but instead I wrote down on a piece of paper all keys I had to press to open the control panel, display, go to the settings tab, etc... to change the refresh rate. But because NVRefresh Tool locked the resolution to 120Hz, I couldn''t change it. So then as a last resort I did something that made my screen 10 years older I think (oh well, it sux anyway, if it gets broken, I''m going for a flatscreen). Namely, everytime I turned off and back on the screen I could see WinXP for 0.5 seconds before the screen turned itself back off. That way I managed to open NVRefresh Tool with the mouse, and use the mouse sliders to change the settings. During that I had to constantly turn on and off the screen... Now a question: wasn''t there a better method? _____________ "Yeah, isn''t it funny how fast a thread about emulation can turn into a US/Iraq thread (once again)..." - Yann L

Advertisement
You could proabably have went into controlpanel->system (in safemode) and removed screen and graphic card drivers, then, on restart, the screensetting would proabably be at 640x480x256 colors at a low refreshrate .. then you would have to reinstall drivers etc.. (not absolutely sure though, cuz I dont use XP myself)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!