• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gf11speed

Game Music

This topic is 6766 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering, for a game, if I wanted to enter a song, which was a wav file, of say.... 20 megs. I really don''t want to have that size file for just one song, so, how could I reduce the size of the file? Would I have to change the file format? If so, then how would I load the file into my program, because right now I''m only reading wav files from the program. Thanks for reading.

Advertisement
You could use Mods or Midis. For playing Mods there are many good libraries available in the net. I''m using Midas Digital Audio System in my project - it''s quite good, and free for Non-commercial use.

http://www.housemarque.fi/technology/midas/index.html

And there are others as well, like MikMod. About Midis, I think you can use DirectMusic to play them.

Jarkko

On the subject of sound libraries, check out FireMod.
In adittion to WAV-files and MODs, it can play MP3s (even several of them at the same time, for crossfading music etc).
It''s extremely easy to use, and it''s free for non-commercial purposes.

*Sparkle*

Thanks, I''ll check those out... they sound interesting. It would be nice to be able to use mp3 files, since they are small and have excellent audio quality.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!