Books on MAKING games

Started by
7 comments, last by Tako 24 years ago
Hello all, I''m almost done reading Ivor Horton''s Beginning C++ and after I want to buy a book on making games. I''ve seen some places that Windows Game Programming for dummies was good and i heard it was bad. What I''m looking for is a book, not on designing a game, but actually coding a game. I don''t want it to be in DirectX I want it to be C++. If any of you know a good book like this, i would appreciate it greatly if you told me the title. Thx Tako
Advertisement
DirectX isn''t a programming language; it''s a graphics API. If you''re programming a Windows game, you have basically two choices for a 2D game: DirectX or GDI. GDI is the graphics API Windows uses in its GUI. It''s easy to work with, but slow -- DirectX is much faster.

Nearly all professional games for Windows are programmed in C++ and use at least some components of DirectX.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
DirectX includes a lot of different APIs. It''s not just a graphics API, it has DirectInput, Direct3D, DirectSound and so on.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I suggest if you don''t want to spend as much time learning Direct X, choose OpenGL as your graphics API. It''s easier (in my opinion, but most will agree)! When I was finished done learning C++, I wanted to learn how to code a game in oure C++, but that is not done anymore. You need C++, that''s basically what you''ll be using but you''ll be using just enough of an API that you you''ll need to learn both really well.

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Tako, there''s no way to program a game with graphics in pure ansi C++. There''s no graphics support, so you''ll have to use a compiler-specific library or api, or an api like DirectX, OpenGL, etc. Windows Game Programming for Dummies is great, but get it only after you get down C++. There''s a long road ahead of you, but don''t get discouraged. We''re all here to help eachother!

Martin
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
Once you''ve learnt C++ I highly reccommend Windows Game Programming for Dummies. The book will show you the windows GDI as well as DirectX. I''ve heard other books by the same author are good as well...

- Daniel

my homepage
- DanielMy homepage
OpenGL might be easier to start out with but it''s only for graphics. Take the time to learn the ins and outs of DirectX and you''ll have graphics (2D and 3D), input, sound, music and even network play all wrapped up in one SDK. There''s a steep learning curve but once you get through it you have a lot more to work with. If you go with OpenGL you''ll have to work out the rest on your own or go with more libraries, engines and SDKs. You might even end up going back to DirectX just to get the other functionality and you''ll end up learning about the graphics portion anyways. Of couse, it all depends on what you want. If you''re sure you only want to learn about graphics then maybe OpenGL is the way to go.
''Tricks of the windows game programming guru''s''.

It wont show you how to write a 3D engine but as jam packed with information about just about every other part of making games... After that you can choose a API to go for or a free engine if you actually want to ''make games''.

As your still new to coding I''d go for using a free engine like genesis3d\jet3d or crystalspace. Additionally you''ll find plenty of help in their forums on general coding (which is something your probably still perfecting)

For someone without prior experience it''s an excellent reference

gimp
Chris Brodie
Maybe I''m just tired, but here''s an answer to your question.

If you want to write a plain jane C program get
Black Art of 3D Game Programming. It''s old and it focuses on DOS, but you are writing to the hardware, so it doesn''t need any extra libraries.

If you want a good book on Windows game programming, get Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. Very good even if you have no windows experience, but be forewarned that it will take you about 7 chapters to get anything meaningful on the screen. That''s the price for Windows DirectX gaming.

I don''t know where some of these people get off saying you _have_ to learn a graphics API because C doesn''t provide one. If you can write to the hardware you can do anything you want.

Ut

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement