Elemental wheel

Started by
6 comments, last by SonicSilcion 24 years ago
___I''ve got a fairly original idea for an RPG [here come the flames], but have gotten stuck on one design consideration. The way I have the game designed the elementals [earth, fire, ice, et.] need to be set up in a wheel, where like elementals [ones with similar effects and weaknesses] are near each other, and dissimilar ones are on opposite or nearly opposite sides of the wheel. ___My problem is, I can''t decide what elements damage one elements and what ones aid. I.E. Water will aid Ice, but damage Fire. That one was simple enough, but when I try aranging more than three it becomes unclear. Example: although element C aids element B, and element A damages element B, having element A damage element C doesn''t make any sense. ___The elements I''m trying to use are: Water, Ice, Fire, Lighting, Wind, and Earth. ___Can anyone suggest a wheel that makes [somewhat] logical sense? You can add or remove elements, as the number isn''t too importanat, but I''d like between 4 and 8 so it doesn''t become too complicated or easy. Thanks ahead of time.
Advertisement
Look @ AD&D Planescape setting.
Elementals planes are well described and are put around a sphere, six basic ''planes'' are:
Earth, Air, fire, water, positive energy and negative energy.

Some of them interacts creating new planes :
fire-earth : magma.
See the planescape setting it must be available on TSR site or somewhere else :o)
If you don''t find it, email me, I''ll give you the details.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Hhmmmm...let''s see...

Lighting aids water or the other way around, electricity is easily led through water. Ice, however, is damage by Lighting, but also enhances the effect of the element. Earth, on the other hand, just absorbs the energy of Lighting.

Wind aids Fire as it helps it to spread. Water damage Fire and can get help in doing so by the Wind.

Earth can be damaged if both Water and Ice work together. Fire can damage Earth but if Water is present Earth is protected. Earth and Wind can work together. However, Earth can also be used to stop the Wind.

Water aids Ice, Ice gets transformed into Water by Fire. So if Fire and Earth works together Ice and Water can be damaged.

Maybe I made it a complicated, but it seemed alright.
Glad if I could be of some help. You have an interesting idea there!

- Mr K
Magic The Gathering 5-elementals system has pretty nice system

Here are a few new elements for you:
-Metal: with lightning it becomes static, water has no effect, fire lets it melt
-Light: with fire it becomes a laser
-Dark

You can combine earth with wind to have a sand storm, or combine water and wind for bubble hit, water and fire to explode a frozen enemy (antipode in chrono trigger), earth and water for mud.
There are lots of combinations.
quote:Original post by SonicSilcion

___The elements I''m trying to use are:
Water, Ice, Fire, Lighting, Wind, and Earth.

Isn''t it a little strange to let Ice and Water be two seperate elements? After all, Ice is just frozen water.

I think it was the ancient greeks that invented the concept of dividing things into different Elements. As far as I remember they had five elements: Earth, Air, Water, Fire and a fifth ''heavenly'' elements which was supposed to be some sort of crystal spheres where the stars where attached to.

Regards

nicba
Although lightning and ice are not exactly elements, I have a few suggestions. Instead of using ice, put it under the same category as water. After all, ice is frozen water, right? As for everything else, take ingenu''s advice(second post)

"Remember, I'm the monkey, and you're the cheese grater. So no messing around."
-Grand Theft Auto, London

"It's not whether I win or lose, as long as I piss you off"
-Morrigan, Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Whoops!
Ingenu has helped me out via e-mail. [Thanks! ] Still, I''d like to thank everyone for contributing.
___Apparantly what I had kept stumbling on was the arrangment of Water, Air, and Ice. nicba and Anon Poster, what I came up with, as a solution and response, is that the three should be arranged as a progression, as all contain water. Since they represent solid, liquid, and gas I set them that way, respectively Ice, Water, and Air. I simply finished the wheel by continuing; Fire, Lightning, then Earth, all the way back to Ice.
___Sorry for not including any of your ideas Mr K, Paladin, and bosjoh. They just seemed a bit too far off from what I had conceptualized. Maybe I''ll integrate them in a reision Again, thanks all!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement