• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX or GL

This topic is 6610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
before you get too far, remember portability and availability. does everyone have an OGL video card? will i want to ever port this game to a console system?

What are you planning on doing.
Learning?
Long-term 3D project?
Just want something on the screen to muck about with?

ZoomBoy
A 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure.
See my character editor, Tile editor and diary at
Check out my web-site

I am working on a project that will probably end up being fairly long. It will be 3D.

OpenGL is only graphics right? It doesn't do sound or input or anything right? Is it possible to use opengl just for graphics and directx for the rest, or is that a bad idea?

Thank you for your input...

<(o)>

Edited by - aDasTRa on 4/12/00 11:37:05 PM

Q3A use OpenGL for gfx, and DirectX for Sound and Input.
That''s not a bad idea, but you might want to check out the new OpenML API which uses OpenGL for gfx.
OpenML is a platform independent equivalent to DirectX, but will only be available next year.

Depending where you''re in your programming process (design or programming) you might want to wait a bit before choosing the API you''ll use.

I''m supporting any platform and MS independent API :o

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wow, that''s the first time I''ve heard someone insinuate DirectX was portable.

There is absolutely NOTHING portable about DirectX. It works on one platform - windows.

All video cards that are the least bit descent will have OpenGL drivers. OpenGL is portable to just about every platform except maybe the commodore 64...

quote:
Original post by Moe

before you get too far, remember portability and availability. does everyone have an OGL video card? will i want to ever port this game to a console system?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have worked with DirectX for a little while, but have worked with the Win API for a couple of years. I must say they are the ugliest APIs i have ever seen in my life. I do use them, but they are slow and hard to use. My suggestion is to learn OpenGL, in a few years Direct X will be either:

- A thing of the past, similar to WinG
- Ported to another OS, like a *nix, because MS will keel over (IMO) or get split up and become a lot of mini-mes. One of them will port Direct X.

Guest Anonymous Poster
It''s always like this--some DUMB initiating pop-off prog''r comes on and decides he wants to learn to make Quake III and asks a DUMB, GAY question like: "Which is better--DX or GL?" or "What''s a struct for tiles?"

Douchebags!!! Rascals!! Go get a life, and get serious...

Wad-wastes!

anyway, speaking about DX and GL, does anyone know a good book that teaches GL? I know DX already and want to expand my horizons.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!