starting with artificial life

Started by
18 comments, last by Corvus 21 years, 6 months ago
Hey, I would like to know more about artificial life. What topics of AI are important for artificial life? Any good articles/links to start with?? Thanx +++ Corvus +++
+++ Corvus +++
Advertisement
A Life, like AI is a vast subject. Following is a list of topics you can search for. Hopefully, one or more of them will be of interest.

Cellular Automata
L Systems
Genetic Algorithms
Genetic Programming
Neural Networks
Flocking (a steering behavior. Not alife as such but interesting)

Here are some links to get you started:

http://www.mathcs.sjsu.edu/faculty/rucker/bopbook.htm
http://www.alcyone.com/max/links/alife.html

Have fun!

ai-junkie.com
allright thanx, i think these are good for starters

+++ Corvus +++
+++ Corvus +++
Corvus,

A lot actually depends upon what you deem to be artificial life. For example: Conway''s Game of Life, Genetic Algorithms, Cellular Automata, Genetic Algorithms to define the rules for Cellular Automata, Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms to define the topology and weighting in Neural Networks, etc... I think you get the point that it all comes down to your definition regardless of how simple or complex. Even the world of molecular biology is still in debate over whether viruses should be considered life forms or not.

My pet project for which I''ve followed many, many related research projects is the development of logic for Pac-Man and the dreaded Ghosts. There''s a thread in this very forum for this topic as well. I like the idea of approaching it from a Genetic Algorithm standpoint to evolve Pac-Men and Ghosts to see the emergent behavior. Something to keep me busy.

Last of all, check out the book :The Computational Beauty of Nature by Flake - lots of good ideas there and a reasonably easy read.

-Kirk
A lot actually depends upon what you deem to be artificial life

Frankenstein''s Monster!

Thanks for the book link Kirk. I''ve not seen that one before. I''ve just ordered it but I have to wait 3-5 weeks! grrrr

Have you got anywhere with your pacman project? Anything to show us?

ai-junkie.com
fup,

You''re welcome. The book is fantastic! Maybe I should write up a review for the book section. Anywho, enjoy.

As for my Pac-Man project, I haven''t made any progress. Actually, it is all in theory right now. I''ve spent most of my free time over the past year coming up with an Evolutionary Programming approach to develop Decision Trees. I call it Virtual Bonzai. 8^) I''ve actually gotten a lot of great results with that and I''m putting together the final data in order to publish my results in a peer-reviewed journal. Hopefully after all of that is done, I can start evolving Pac-Men. ugh. Crazy life! So much time, so little to do...no wait...reverse that...

How about you? Any new tutorials? The two I''ve seen are great!

-Kirk
I''ve been busy writing a book for the last few months but now it''s finished and waiting to be printed I''m working on the next tutorial for the website- Self Organising Maps.

I''d be interested to see your article on evolving decision trees. What programming language are you using?

ai-junkie.com
Book, eh? Any autographed copies laying around? 8^)

I''m programming in C++. I''ve tried to keep the OO side of it as reasonable as possible - I''ve been reading Design Patterns as well, so I''m very enthused about that aspect. I''ll let you know what I end up with regarding decision tree tutorials.

-Kirk
quote:Original post by kirkd
I''ve spent most of my free time over the past year coming up with an Evolutionary Programming approach to develop Decision Trees.

By this do you mean using EP techniques for: a) learning classifications on trees; or b) evolving tree topology to fit data; or c) both; or d) something completely different?

Without giving your game away, I''d really appreciate hearing about what you''ve been doing, as we do a lot of research on decision trees here at Monash.

Cheers,

Timkin
It''s a bunch of links but hope it helps.

DMOZ - OpenDirectory - Artificial Life

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement