Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ritual Magic

Hmmm...OpenGL is not THAT hard :)

Got to admit that the NeHe tutorials are really excellent! Having blundered my way through the first 10 or so, I''m now on my mission to write the quintissential "Man With Nothing To Do Blindly Running Around a Boring Looking Space, but With Walls to Bang Into!" game! Quick question though - I can use OpenGL to sort out all the graphics stuff, but with input and sound, my choices are..? DirectX or Windows? Or is there a nice little input/sound engine that I could download to complement OpenGL? Any advice appreciated RM.

Why is it almost every time someone finishes NeHes intro tutorials, they feel like the OpenGL programming gods? Its sort of funny. NeHe must have special effect on every one.

Ok, I would use DirectSound and DirectInput with OpenGL. Many programmers choose to use them these APIs. I belive that Quake dose this. DirectInput is pretty easy to implement and fits nice into C++ classes, that same with DirectSound.

sakky said:

"Why is it almost every time someone finishes NeHes intro tutorials, they feel like the OpenGL programming gods? Its sort of funny. NeHe must have special effect on every one."

My reply (to this very silly statement)...

Where does it say in my post that I

a) finished the tutorials (I said I had gotten through about 10, there are 39) and

b) felt like an OpenGL programming God?

If I happen to feel pretty good about finally getting a grip on something that I have an interested in, then I don''t see why that would make you puzzled? Do you normally feel bad when you figure something out?

Strange person...

RM.

Yes, it seems that this implicitly self-proclaimed judge of ability and identifier of so called unworthy pride has an insecurity for his own overbrimming sese of acomplishment, for they say that: it takes one to know one. I dont think that Ritual Majic is one.
Its just best to be cheerful when a novice on the beginners fourum is elated at overcomming a hurdle. Im sure we all know how good that feels, right? This is the beginners fourum, and if encouragement belongs anywhere its here. Im a beginner and I apreciate encouragment and helpful criticism/suggestions.

My question is to the guy who posted FMOD site: if FMOD is FMOD really a viable option over directsound?

Thanks

-Brett

quote:
Original post by mertz
... elated at overcomming a hurdle. Im sure we all know how good that feels, right? ...

Yeah the natural high you get if you feel like you just split an atom This is why people get addicted to programming (I guess there''s a lot of them out here).