Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eimai_typas

Draw text & bitmap onto a game's screen

eimai_typas    122
hi..I'm trying to draw some text (and maybe a bitmap) onto a game's (StarCraft..uses DirectX) screen..I've downloaded the DirectX8 Jedi headers but it's difficult to do it myself.i think i know what to do ...but i don't know how :-( .I think that i should find the backbuffer surface that the game uses.Create another surface , load a bitmap into the created surface an then Fastblt the 2 surfaces. Am i correct ? if i am or not can anyone help me ? Using delphi6. [edited by - eimai_typas on September 30, 2002 9:05:21 AM]

Spacecat    122
Do you mean to do this in a game you''re making or in a commercial game you''re trying to ''alter''? If you''re trying to alter a game I can''t help you, in fact I doubt it can be done by a non-professional. (Heck, I''m almost a pro and I know I couldn''t do it)

Now for the howto... Your fastblt strategy is sound, but if you''re using Directx 8 you might want to consider the ''3D way'' (yes, I know it is more annoying than directdraw methods).

The 3D way: Create enough vertices for a quad, set them on screen either through pre-transformed vertexes or (the recommended way through an orthogonal projection of 3D points. Load a texture, set your texture to that quad during the render loop.

Igilima    122
You would have to be an elite hacker (and I don''t mean the bad sort of hacker, just a hacker in general meaning someone who knows everything computer inside and out) in order to alter a compiled executable such as the release version of StarCraft so that it displays your own custom objects. That isn''t your run-of-the-mill programming. What you want to do is create a mod for a game that provides modding tools. I don''t think StarCraft comes with that.

JoeyBlow2    100
I can''t give you a direct answer.

However, there is a program that does the same thing to the game Asheron''s Call. Its open source and in www.sourceforge.net... Go to that webpage and lookup "Decal." With enough studying, you might see how they stick their nose into another DirectX application.