Shaders finally used in a game!

Started by
20 comments, last by angrytofu 21 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by davepermen
for me, shading starts with dx9 hw.

ah, this is better, the reason I brought it up was before you said :

quote:Original post by davepermen
there are no shaders before dx9.. at least, no pixelshaders..

which implies that ''no one had shaders before DX9 had appeared'' which seems to say DX9 is on the only thing which had it, now you''ve clafied it with ''dx9 hw'' I see your point, the shaders on these new cards could wel be considered ''proper shaders'' when compared to what we have now, however I would still argue that the gf3 and gf4 has proper shaders, with less flexiblity I admit than new hardware (isnt that always the way), as they can handle more than 2 textures per pass so you CAN get good effects with a single pass (assuming I''m understand what you said correctly about single pass PPL)

Advertisement
so you are saying forget about CG since dx9 will contain a shading language of its own? What will it look like? Will there be any applicaitons that will aid in the creation?

since honestly, I am not the smartest guy.. I can load 3d models and move them around but I do not really know linear algebra.. So I would still like to use shaders somehow.. I suppose one way is to use ones already created and just stick them in ?

Anthing thing.. about vertex shaders and animation.. how would that effect character animation? how does caracter studio/dx/vertex shaders all work together? That is still unclear to me..

luckily meanwhile I have plenty of other things to learn but if I could toy with shaders some it would be nice

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement