Problem with debugging DirectPlay

Started by
18 comments, last by Y2Kbug 21 years, 6 months ago
Running the server and client on the same machine is NOT a P2P model. P2P has nothing to do with the machines the programs are running on, it has to do with how you implement your network architecture.
Advertisement
"Running the server and client on the same machine is NOT a P2P model."

Not necessarily. I don''t know of any professional games where you have to run the client and server in a seperate process on the same computer.

Generally the client and server are the same program at that point.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
Actually most games allow you to run a dedicated server and the client on the same machine, if that is what you wish to do. Think of Quake, Battlefield 1942 etc as these are all good examples. They also have the server and client being together as an option, but to say you know of know professional games is a bit blinkered.

Anyway back to the original point, write a bug report to MS and maybe one day htey will fix it.

Martin Piper
Run a sample from the SDK and try to connect to a session hosted on the same machine.

What DX version are you using? What version of Dplay are you using?

Right off the bat, I think that you are trying to connect to the server through the same port that it is hosting on, which is not allowed.
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
Hi, I am using DX 8.1a and DPlay 7.
Thank you for that ports I have tried it and it works. Because I think, that I must enter the same ports on the both client and server. THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTING AND HELP
quote:Original post by Y2Kbug
Hi, I am using DX 8.1a and DPlay 7.
Thank you for that ports I have tried it and it works. Because I think, that I must enter the same ports on the both client and server. THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSTING AND HELP

I don''t think there''s something like DP7. The previous version before 8 was 4 I think. Do us all a favor and just use 8.
"Do us all a favor and just use 8."

Oh yes, it''s such a burden to us that he''s using DP4 or whatever.

Clue time: DPlay from DX7 works great. The only thing I don''t like about it is the fact you can''t specify the port to use.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
If I have the DX8 SDK installed can I write code from DX7? Like say I have a book that teaches DirectPlay 7, would that code work in the DX8 SDK?
Yes, because COM interfaces aren''t allowed to change and are always distributed with the new interfaces so that code won''t break just ebcause someone installs the latest version.
OK, thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement