Problem with debugging DirectPlay

Started by
18 comments, last by Y2Kbug 21 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I have a directplay app, which I need to test and I have no connection to another network. I try to use IP 127.0.0.1, but it doesn''t work. Can you help me, please??? thx Y2K.bug
Advertisement
Oh yes, DPlay''s marvelous bug of not seeing a local host game. I quickly looked at this ages ago and there wasn''t a solution or work around. It''s a good example though about why not to use DPlay because I found this quite shoddy really.
Martin Piper
You don''t want to be running the server on the same computer as the client anyway. How do you plan on testing multiple clients?

If you want to do network coding you''re going to need a network regardless of whether you use Winsock or DirectPlay.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
Why not? You might want to host a local stand alone server and connect to it yourself for debugging purposes... I can think of many more reasons why I''d want to have a server and client on the same machine. However I can think of no technical reason why DPlay does not allow this.
Martin Piper
Even when doing single client tests I run the server on a seperate PC. It allows me to have access to all the debug info I need comming off the server either on screen or to a file. I use two comps or more if needed for Winsock as well.

Sure you could run client and server on the same PC but that''s only if you''re into that kind of self inflicted torment.

It''s a moot issue. If you want to do network coding you need a network. It''s kind of an obvious prerequisit.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
Testing on your own machine is a very useful first step of bugs-tracking (let's roll to 127.0.0.1, it should work actually...).

When you'll need to test your server/client application with multiple connections, ask to a friend on your ***replace this with your favorite pager (=probably ICQ)*** list and tell him to connect to the server you will be hosting.

=> Be sure to make a log-file (on server and client side) in order to check all data which is running accross the network.

[edited by - Cahaan on October 1, 2002 8:40:15 PM]
Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
There is an incredibly damned fine absolutely wonderful reason to be able to run the client and server on the same PC. So you can host a game and play against other people...duh. Sorry to be like that, but like....every multi-player game out there that doesn''t HAVE to have seperate servers (such as an mmog) allows this. I would not buy a game where i HAD to have 2 computers just so i could play a game against a couple of friends.
"Testing on your own machine is a very useful first step of bugs-tracking"

Not if your app is full screen. Having it on a second PC is like having dual monitor debugging. It''s very very nice even when just beginning.

AP:

That would be a P2P model which works fine. For the central server model you need a second PC. Which makes sense since the whole idea of a central server model is to have a dedicated server.

You can run the "SimpleConnect" demo included with the SDK multiple times on the same PC and they''ll all get the message.

Ben

DirectPlay poses no such restrictions.
You should have no problem connecting to a session hosted on the same machine as your client.
I am guessing that you are not setting your addresses correctly, or that you are not using your enumeration responses correctly. I have written many apps using DirectPlay that both host and connect to a session on the same machine.

"It''s a good example though about why not to use DPlay because I found this quite shoddy really."

I have yet to see an example.
Don't be afraid to be yourself. Nobody else ever will be.
It is all fine. Just now I test it through modem, so it is too expensive for me and my friends on ICQ doesn''t have time to test every five minutes new version!!! I have already tried IP 127.0.0.1, but it doesn''t work But I don''t want why!!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement