Windows XP 3d performance..?

Started by
11 comments, last by branhield 21 years, 6 months ago
i have got the impression that 3d applications would run at slower framerates on win XP than on other platforms..i have seen several posts like "my apps run slower on windows xp than they did on win2k"...
Advertisement
Sometimes it''s because of the stock video drivers that come with XP - for a lot of cards they run as software only, until you get the latest drivers for your card.

Also, Service Pack 1, I heard, resolves an issue where OpenGL runs only at 60 FPS in fullscreen (or rather, the lowest refresh rate your monitor supports).

I''m not sure how accurate any of this is.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
I have had no problems with GL or D3D on XP vs. 98. Quite the contrary, the games/apps "feel" faster (because XP is more "solid" - just a feeling)

As Waverider says, just keep your drivers up to date. You can also find patches for that 60hz thing that doesn''t require SP1.

And yeah, TWEAK your XP for even better performance.

www.annoyances.org

www.tweakxp.com

2DNow - Specializing in yesterday''s technology today!

It depends on whether or not your program requires a lot of memory. If you''re shuffling a lot of memory around, then 98 will run faster than XP, simply because of the way the kernel operates.

XP should be slightly slower than 98 or even Win2K just because of the extra overhead that it has.
if u have a major speed difference between the 2 OS''s then something is wrong.
eg video/motherboard drivers installed incorrectly

true winXP requires more memory than win98 to run.

example win98->win2000. when i upgraded from win98 to win2000 (on the same machine with 64mb)
UT ran fine in win98
UT ran slow as hell in win2000 the harddisk was continually grunting + groaning (once i got 128mb though it was ok)
win2000 uses about 80mb just when u turn it on.
-(how they expected anyone with 64mb to use it is a joke)
winXP is more of a memory hog than win2000, i wouldnt run winXP unless i had 256mb

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/kea/kea.html
http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
I use win 2k with 64 mb ram on my notebook!
i feel your pain, i used win2000 with 64mb for more than a year (though thats still better than win9x with 1gb memory)
From what I heard Win 2000 is the slower one of all operating systems for running anything related to DirectX or OpenGL. Of course 98 is the ultimate in speed. XP when it comes to running games is almost on par with 98. Dont forget XP feels cluncky, because of all the fancy GUI stuff, not like we need skinable Windows, or pop menus that fade in and out etc... But since MAC OS and X Windows and others offer customizable desktops, might as well follow the trend and let Windows people do it to. The problem all these skinable desktops are cluncky...
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I use win 2k with 64 mb ram on my notebook!

Get more memory! Even my P120 laptop (old!!!) has 80MB of ram in it.

hehe, we had in school p2 300mhz with 64mb ram and ran win98,win2000 and winXP on it. xp was actually quite fast (together with officeXP)...

but.. the other classes one room above us.. they had ... p4 2giga with 128 or 256mb ram..

well, you can feel how we felt (as we had to work at those pc''s the whole day..)

at least, the installation of win2000 took about 3 hours, or 4. most the time filling some progressbars. we eat a lot during this morning:D "teacher, we''ll be back in half an hour, we''ll go to search some food, windows is still installing" "okay"

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement