CRPGs & CRPGs

Started by
17 comments, last by IFooBar 21 years, 6 months ago
Hello uh...computer RPGs and Concole RPGs are in my opinion very different from each other (unless they''re a port or something) I''ve been thinking about why are the rpgs on computers so much more different then the rpgs on consoles. i''m, gonna have trouble explaining this so bare with me. I had a little thought and came up with a small list of some of the differences. im gonna put it in source tags so the formatting is correct

----------------------------------------------------------------
feature     |         Computer          |         Console
Story       |almost always something    |Found to be much more
            |to do with the ''olden'' days|in depth then comp.
            |not very long              |usually better
battle      | mostly real time          | mostly turn based
character   | usually has more involved |the characters are alre
development |character building capabil |dy chosen. u can only
            |ities, u get to do much    |start to ''improve''
            |more customization         |their stats
iteraction  | interactivity with the    |more interaction with
            |characters is a lot in this|the environment then 
            |and NPCs are a big part    |with chracters but NPSs
            |                           |also play big roles

thats all i could really think of (for now). So basically what im trying to get at is why not join the two up. take the best points from each and put them together. there are some pretty annoying features in both id say. maybe a lot will disagree with me in that console rpgs and computer rpgs dont have so many differences but anyway, IMO i prefer the console rpgs because their like controlling a hollywood movie in a way. for me there''s just too much time spent on ''fixing up'' stuff in a computer rpg, im one of those people that like to get where they''re going as fast as possible, and now i want to take in the scenery on teh way. so heres what im thinking, we can take teh stroy element from the console rpg, the battle elements can be mixed, and we can take teh character development from the computer rpg and the interaction from both. i know there are many more points that would make an rpg, but those were the first main ones that came to mind. so do u guys also think that computer rpgs are different then console rpgs? why? how do we get the best from both worlds?
"Your friendly proggy.....Al " [Triple Buffer]|[SCRIPTaGAME]|[My Old Site]
[size=2]aliak.net
Advertisement
"how do we get the best from both worlds?"

We make console RPGs!
What you said about computer vs console RPG stories. Ever played Ultima underworld? You have to learn a another ''language'' as part of the story to communicate with another race! Tell that to console RPGs! Ever played Baldur''s Gate, Deus Ex, System Shock 2? These are excellent examples of amazing stories in computer RPGs.

Sub-Terra
Software - High quality free games and applications (website under construction)

matt_j@shaw.ca

subterrasoft@hotmail.com

Most of the differences resulted from the architecture of the systems for which they were developed. For instance, computer games tend toward character development. This is because character development requires space to store the character, which implies a need for a hard disk. As the recent generation of consoles adds new features, we will probably see a convergence. However, as the AP demonstrated above, the "best" is a subjective term. If there were a clear "best" then everyone would make the same game.
quote:
You have to learn a another ''language'' as part of the story to communicate with another race! Tell that to console RPGs!

console rpgs have done that. FFX comes to mind. anyway. i was talking in general terms. ive noticed that console rpgs are _usually_ have more of a story line then computer rpgs, but they''re also more linear then computer rpgs. which is not a good thing considering the interaction that a game is all about.

quote:
Most of the differences resulted from the architecture of the systems for which they were developed. For instance, computer games tend toward character development. This is because character development requires space to store the character, which implies a need for a hard disk.

hey thats a good point. i never thought of that.

quote:
However, as the AP demonstrated above, the "best" is a subjective term.

....I think he meant console rpgs are better then computer rpgs...

quote:
If there were a clear "best" then everyone would make the same game.

true. i was just trying to think up a decent balance between the two.

"Your friendly proggy.....Al "
[Triple Buffer]|[SCRIPTaGAME]|[My Old Site]
[size=2]aliak.net
A lot of people say that a set story is a bad thing, and sometimes it can be, but not all the time. A linear RPG is kind of like a book that unfolds in front of you. It''s harder to make a good linear RPG, but IMO, the really good ones blow away the non-linear ones. I''d play Chrono Trigger or Xenogears over Baldur''s Gate or Diablo any day (Don''t get me wrong though, BG is still one of my favorite games). It isn''t a matter of which one is better. They''re two completely different types of games.
There is one thing you have to remember:

Computers usually have an audience of one, the player.

Console games are made to play on the TV... you know, the center of the household entertainment.

As a result, computer games are centered around getting the player entranced, console games are centered around getting the audience as entranced as the player. This is why most computer games don''t translate well to the console and vice versa. There are a *few* exceptions, but not many.
quote:Original post by omni777
A lot of people say that a set story is a bad thing, and sometimes it can be, but not all the time. A linear RPG is kind of like a book that unfolds in front of you. It''s harder to make a good linear RPG, but IMO, the really good ones blow away the non-linear ones. I''d play Chrono Trigger or Xenogears over Baldur''s Gate or Diablo any day (Don''t get me wrong though, BG is still one of my favorite games). It isn''t a matter of which one is better. They''re two completely different types of games.

I think Baldur''s Gate(1 and 2) was quite linear, you had some freedom, but not as much as there was in for instance Fallout(1 and 2). I think that it doesn''t matter whether your story is very linear, or absolutely not, there have been made some very good games for with both linear and non-linear stories. And I also don''t think console or computer RPGs are better, because I think that it all depends on what you like best, and I can enjoy both a computer and a console RPG. But I think my favourite is computer.
Nethack is one of those games that consoles can''t ever have. It''s complex and ugly. No PS2-dude can play a game like that, but still i think its the best RPG created on console / computer.
________________________________________Kloonigames Blog - Monthly Experimental Games
Almost all the reasons you listed are to do with user interaction. A mouse and keyboard are ideal for lots of commands and plenty of interactivity. With consoles your commands are very limiting so the games tend to center on gameplay and storyline in order to get people to buy their game.

So Computer (PC) RPGs tend to be more interactive, while console RPGs usually have more thought put into the storyline and simple game play (due to lack of interactivity).

FFX doesn''t really count as a new language, it is just english letters out of order ^^, the ultima series uses a completely different character set (after playing all of them you memorise the characters too, its really sad ^^)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement