Compiler Design

Started by
12 comments, last by sakky 21 years, 6 months ago
If you like Java, use SableCC, it is much nicer than most compiler compilers out there, and comes with lots of examples too. http://sablecc.org
"I don''t know with what weapons the third world war will be fought, but I know the fourth will be fought with sticks and stones." Einstein
Advertisement
Sounds like you might be interested in A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation. This book explains the details in the implementation of LCC, a complete ANSI C compiler with back-ends for several platforms including x86. It's a pretty good book if you want to see actual implementation concerns and issues, although some of the methods used are a bit old-fashioned.

But if you only buy one book on compiler design/construction, by all means go for the Dragon book. You need to understand the theory behind this stuff well.

[edited by - spock on October 3, 2002 8:36:28 AM]
quote:Original post by daerid
get the Dragon Book (Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools). It's hardback, about $80, but it's the compiler bible.

Actally, a cheaper paperback edition do exist (or at least did when I bought it): the Addison-Wesley "World Student Series Edition". It's an unabridged reprint, but I don't think it is available in the US.

[edited by - spock on October 3, 2002 8:33:47 AM]
I glanced over "Compiler Design in C" in my library recently when I went to pick up the Dragon book that everyone was recommending. It seems to be focused a bit more on the practical building of a compiler, while the Dragon book focuses heavily on the theoretical aspect. It looked good, however, and is a little more recent than the Dragon book.

Perhaps you should start with one, and then read the other? They''re gigantic books, but this is what I intend to do myself.

"Don''t be afraid to dream, for out of such fragile things come miracles."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement