• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what's genesis3d and glide?

This topic is 6521 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

sorry if this has been asked several times before, but i just checked the genesis3d page, and it looks pretty good. why would anyone use direct3d or opengl if something like this genesis engine is available? anyway, what are it''s advantages/disadvantages? a2k

Advertisement
Here are two that come immediately to mind. . .

1. Genesis3D is limited in the environments it supports. If you want to make, for example, a game that takes place in outer space and you want unlimited space in all directions, Genesis3D would not work out too well.

2. Genesis3D is not cross-platform. If you write an app and use strict OpenGL calls, it won''t be difficult to move it to any other platform that supports OpenGL.

Using a pre-built 3D engine is not a good way to learn 3D programming. There's only one way to learn stuff, and that is to actually do it.

You'd learn more about 3D programming if you made your own 3D engine than if you use someone else's.

The game industry would be nowhere if everyone used someone else's engine. Would you like it if all 3D games were based on the Unreal engine ? And what is more fun, making your own engine or simply buying someone else's?

/. Muzzafarath

Edited by - Muzzafarath on 4/13/00 1:54:22 PM

yeah, actually i''ve started my engine in opengl, and started browsing around looking at genesis, and i thought it looked pretty good.

the only thing i''m worried about when coding in opengl is, will i be able to make it fast enough like those commercial games on the market? optimization scares me, just to get the 3d up, but then if you want to add the special effects? criminey! i like my approach to my opengl engine, but if i can''t code "efficiently," it''ll never be as good as those other cool games. i''m just hoping optimization is more of an issue of "would i be able to fix it up here and there so that it improves performance greatly" or "i''m pretty S.O.L., and now, i gotta start all over."

this is not to suggest that i''ll be lazy when going about optimizing, i''d try my best, but i don''t know anything about hardware acceleration and software rendering, and i guess i just gotta do a lot of digging while i''m developing or something.

a2k

• Advertisement