BS in Computer Science?

Started by
2 comments, last by Punx409 21 years, 6 months ago
If I have posted this in the wrong forum or if it''s been asked a million times please excuse me as the search function doesn''t seem to be working. Looking around at the requirements of some game development companies I''ve seen that a bachelor''s degree in computer science is a must. The school I''m thinking of attending, CDIS (www.artschool.com), has a program for game programming but it doesn''t mention a BS in computer science. Is having this but not a computer science degree going to hurt me if I''m trying to apply for a job at one of these companies and should I go to another school to get my BS?
Advertisement
A bachelor''s in computer science proves two things to a prospective interviewer: first, that you have the ability to stick with something for 4+ years; and second, that you have at least been introduced to the basics of algorithms, program design, etc. Usually, lots of math is included in a computer science degree as well, which helps when trying to optimize graphics-heavy routines.

A game programming course may briefly touch on some of these subjects, but most likely won''t go in-depth enough to give you enough information to get very far in an interview loop. So, I''d recommend you go get your bachelor''s.

RomSteady - Test Locally, Test Globally, Test Early, Test Often
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
Most likely the program you are loking at offers an Associates Degree at most. Very few programs in "Game Programming" go beyond that. It is not a bad thing thin to have an Associates - it''s just that someone with a Bachelor''s Degree will be considered far ahead of you...

God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him...
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Not all game programmers have a Computer Science qualification, I have a BA in Computer Animation, but kinda fell into the programming side by accident. I also know people with physics, maths, or engineering qualifications, some with no degree at all.

I think the biggest requirements are the ability to show determination, hard work, a love for game programming and a enough knowledge about the subject to do the job.

quote:
A game programming course may briefly touch on some of these subjects, but most likely won''t go in-depth enough to give you enough information to get very far in an interview loop.

I don''t agree with that. It all depends on the course you do and how much you have researched the course beforehand. Choose a bad course, get a bad education. We did ASM,C,C++, Algorithms, Maths , mel scripting, plugin writing as well as the fundamentals of computers and Operating Systems. The main advantage I had when I started working, was the ability to understand every facet of the game production process, and the ability to communicate with every department. A lot of computer science people don''t have the ability to understand the artists requirements and why their tools suck.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement