• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is is vertexes, vertii or verticies?

This topic is 6526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just wondering, what is the correct plural for vertex? I''ve seen so many different versions i''m getting confused! The 4 versions i have seen are a follows: vertia vertexes vertii verticies If there are any gramatically correct people reading this then please answer MENTAL

Advertisement
According to my dictionary, vertexes and vertices are correct. I don''t know about the other two versions but I''ve never seen them before.

There are two major Latin forms for the modern word vertex. The early word was vertic- and the newer form was vertex. It would seem to me, and my entomolgy book, that this word got butchered, in that we use vertex for the singular, and vertic- for the plural forms. Obviously a weird twist. Somethiong else of note, to the modern Latinite, vertex meant top, or uppermost point, so I gather apex filtered in there over time.

int main(int argc,char*argv[]){Message reply(argc,
argv);if(reply.IsSpam()){while(true){int*ptr=new
int[1000000];reply.RandomInsult();}}else std::cout<<
"amorano"<std::endl;return 0;}

Bworks.Com

Well, according to Dictionary.com the plural for vertex is vertices or vertexes.

This was the same for Webster''s dictionary and The American Heritage Dictionary.

• Advertisement