Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Igilima

Sprites? in Direct3D?

OK, so what are sprites? Does DX8 have an actual sprite object or is this just a billboarding thing? This is probably one of those "duh" questions but none of the books I have read (and I have read 2.5 on D3D and DX 8 so far) have covered sprites.

In 3d - a sprite is represented as a billboard. And yes - they are an OOP thing when used in DX8.1 if you used the built in implementation.

Maybe I am reading the question wrong though... What do you mean by, "an actual sprite object"?

Well, I think you answered my question. So basically there is a set of function calls and a DX predefined sprite class. Does the sprite creation interface take a 2d graphic or can you create a sprite from a ''3d'' item?

G''day!

Using typical definitions, a sprite is a 2D thingy. 3D objects are typically referred to as objects, meshes, etc.

D3D comes with a sprite interface, which is essentially mapping a 2D graphic on a screen-aligned quad. It''s easy to write your own if you need something fancier.

You could create a 2D sprite at run-time from a 3D object, but it would generally make more sense to do that ahead of time.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena